Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is your doctor taking pharmaceutical kick-backs?
Found this website that was quite interesting...

Is your doctor getting paid by "Big Pharma" to push certain drugs onto their patients??

Interesting site here where you can enter your doctor's name (if they're based in the U.S.) and see exactly how much money they are receiving in "kick-backs":

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

From that page:

Quote:Pharmaceutical and medical device companies are now required by law to release details of their payments to a variety of doctors and U.S. teaching hospitals for promotional talks, research and consulting, among other categories. Use this tool to search for general payments (excluding research and ownership interests) made from August 2013 to December 2015.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You can also look here for companies, to see how much they've given to doctors:

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/company

Here's a partial list of major CPAP manufacturers and how much they've given to doctors during the period of August 2013 to December 2015.

COMPANY, NUMBER OF PAYMENTS & TOTAL AMOUNT: *

RESMED CORP--  Number of Payments:  4,023 / TOTAL AMOUNT:  $259,000

PHILIPS ELECTRONICS NORTH AMERICA--  Number of Payments:  22,818 / TOTAL AMOUNT:  $9,170,000

INVACARE CORPORATION--  Number of Payments:  23 / TOTAL AMOUNT:  $193,000

PURITAN BENNETT (MALLINCKRODT)-- Number of Payments: 141,541 / TOTAL AMOUNT: $17,900,000

FISHER & PAYKEL HEALTHCARE LIMITED--  Number of Payments:  191 / TOTAL AMOUNT:  $444,000

VIASYS (CARDINAL HEALTH)--  Number of Payments:  55 / TOTAL AMOUNT:  $85,199

Thinking-about

*NOTE:  Keep in mind, that some of these companies make all kinds of medical devices, not just CPAP machines.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! This makes the parade of reps into the doctors' offices carting in huge bags of food from Olive Garden, Outback etc. pale in significance. Shameful but true Oh-jeez

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

It would be interesting to know the extent to which the major companies give sleep clinics and diagnosticians their diagnostic and titration equipment without cost, in order to have patients titrated on their brand of equipment. I can see where this also results in doctors prescribing one brand over another. I suspect the investment in sleep clinic equipment "gifts" is probably similar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. It appears my PCP and Oncologist haven't been taking payments. On the other hand, it appears my sleep doctor is up to his ears in it. Looking at the amount Philips payed out make me wonder if that is the reason I was prescribed a DreamStation.
Post Reply Post Reply
IS it me.....  if I were to except a gift from a supplier >$25.00 I could be fired.   It is so nice to see all the pharmaceutical and medical fields that like to work with lobbist , Government, & Hospitals to make sure that the people who need this stuff get it for the lowest price.     I am almost positive that is why they hire so many lobbiest like to spend so much time to explain so clearly to the house and senate, sometimes on nice warm islands so those important bills get passed so they can keep their profits low so they can offer these medical supplies at an affordable price and the doctors only take the money to offset the cost of the equipment and drug to the people whom really can't afford it. 
It is so nice to know we the people are not being taken advantage of for everyone else's greed and profits....   ok I might be a bit sarcastic. c2
Post Reply Post Reply

One thing I have learn in life :   If you want the truth about almost anything, Just follow the MONEY and you to will learn the truth !!!

C2.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's interesting to do some basic maths here. Dividing the amount given by the number of recipients shows the average gift was only $166. This ranges from Resmed at a lowly $64 up to Invacare at $8,391 per gift. As I understand it Invacare make hardware like hospital beds and wheelchairs, so this seems a bit out of whack. I can't see any doctor, no matter how venal, being swayed by a gift of $64, but I can certainly see how an $8,000 payback might prompt some unethical decision making.
Code:
Resmed      4,023      259,000      64
Philips    22,818    9,170,000     402
Invacare       23      193,000   8,391
Puritan B 141,541   17,900,000     126
F&P           191      444,000   2,325
Viasys         55       85,199   1,549
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

Post Reply Post Reply
Part of the problem is that we really have no clue what these funds were used for.  They were categorized somewhat, but anyone can "say" that a payment was for meals & entertainment - but what's to prohibit a company from simply writing a check to a doctor for x amount, and claiming it was for "meals & entertainment" or whatever.

The point is that no matter what kind of legislation is passed to prohibit abuses, there's always going to be people who will figure out a way to "cook the books" legally so that they don't appear to be doing something unethical.

I'm not sure there's an easy answer to kick-backs at all.   Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

I hope not. Doesn't seem medically ethical. Along the same lines as discussion HIPPA info without permission of the patient.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Rate your doctor Phill 21 1,690 04-27-2016, 01:27 AM
Last Post: dawoodsman
  How to protect yourself from deadly bacteria in hospitals doctor and dentist office me50 3 972 02-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Last Post: archangle
  [News] New Study: Stop taking those antioxidants! ApneaNews 1 850 05-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Last Post: retired_guy