Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is your doctor taking pharmaceutical kick-backs?
I don't mind them getting a free dinner, while at a seminar etc. but payments to prescribe a drug or device is dishonest & dangerous for patients.
Once went regularly to a doc here.  A general practitioner, with an interest in cosmetic procedures (not plastic).  He'd set himself up with a beauty type clinic in 2 towns a fair way away from me.  He diagnosed me with psoriasis & recommended UVB ray treatment on a sunbed.  While I was at the first appointment I was encouraged to look at a photo album of what I could have done to my face to 'improve' things !!  LOL.  Tattooing, vein treatment, birthmark etc.  
I wasn't interested in any of that stuff, but was pretty frightened by the psoriasis diag.
I had a series of sunbed treatments, which a few years later resulted in melanoma.  Sunbeds are now, I believe, not allowed in gyms, skin treatment areas etc in Oz.  Open to clarification on that......
I will add that the psoriasis (guttate) was cured & has never come back, tho there are other small patches of another sort.  
The reason for telling this tale is that this doctor was caught by our Medicare charging Medicare for sunbed sessions for many people simply wanting to use the equipment to get a suntan.  & here's me sitting in reception feeling really sorry for all these lovely young people for having psoriasis !!!
The doc fled overseas & I don't know what happened to him.  Medicare took a statement from me, as they then held my records when they raided this doc.
One born every day......  Dodgy Dodgy
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Any medical supply or device company is required to report any transfer of value to a doctor from vendor. Some of the high dollar amounts can be very deceiving. Most states have a continuing education or CE requirement of x hundred of hours over a specific number of years. If one of those doctors is really good at what he does clinically he may get paid to go speak an a CE event. If flight, hotel, and a day long workshop it could be big dollars. Somebody is paying for that docs time away from patients. Some Drs make $400k+ a year so paying for a few days of his time is crazy expensive. It is 100% illegal to pay for prescriptions, or give a kickback. If a device or drug rep offers a cup of coffee and doesn’t report it he is risking job and a possible personal fine from the government. Some of the dollars on that list are good for you the patient. Reading through this board their is plenty of bad experiences with doctor or their staff. If the a repeatable cpap company rep knows of a class that may help a prescribing doc who does use a cpap, it may make him more understanding of issues that could pop up. That is good for us as patients. If that cpap company had to offer partial or full tuition to that class (usually taught by an expensive doc and can not be a commercial for any brand to qualify for state recognized CE) it could be several thousand listed under his name.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Patient feedback for the Doctor DanGagner 1 535 01-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Last Post: mrsmagoo
Angry Rate your doctor Phill 21 1,954 04-27-2016, 01:27 AM
Last Post: dawoodsman
  How to protect yourself from deadly bacteria in hospitals doctor and dentist office me50 3 1,088 02-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Last Post: archangle
  [News] New Study: Stop taking those antioxidants! ApneaNews 1 928 05-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Last Post: retired_guy