Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Israeli company develops "internal mask" for patients with sleep apnea
RE: Israeli company develops "internal mask" for patients with sleep apnea
(11-22-2013, 12:23 PM)PsychoMike Wrote:
(11-22-2013, 09:31 AM)Sleepster Wrote: This looks like it's an oral mask. Add nasal pillows and you've got a nifty hybrid mask that's an alternative to any full face mask. Also, this would be good for folks like me who don't tolerate a nasal mask very well and find that chin straps don't work them. Personally, I dread the notion of having to go to a full face mask, and if this product delivers as advertised it would be a life-saver for me if I ever had to do that.

But it's internal....between the gums/teeth and lips/cheek...It would probably be easier to just "pinch off" the nose than to try to tie it into a second part like a nasal mask.

I could imagine the headgear for a combined unit (this and a nasal mask) being pretty involved and them needing a bite tab on this part to help keep the works in place.

Okay, now you are describing my product almost exactly. Stop it!

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2013, 12:41 PM)DocWils Wrote:
(11-22-2013, 12:23 PM)PsychoMike Wrote:
(11-22-2013, 09:31 AM)Sleepster Wrote: This looks like it's an oral mask. Add nasal pillows and you've got a nifty hybrid mask that's an alternative to any full face mask. Also, this would be good for folks like me who don't tolerate a nasal mask very well and find that chin straps don't work them. Personally, I dread the notion of having to go to a full face mask, and if this product delivers as advertised it would be a life-saver for me if I ever had to do that.

But it's internal....between the gums/teeth and lips/cheek...It would probably be easier to just "pinch off" the nose than to try to tie it into a second part like a nasal mask.

I could imagine the headgear for a combined unit (this and a nasal mask) being pretty involved and them needing a bite tab on this part to help keep the works in place.

Okay, now you are describing my product almost exactly. Stop it!

hehe - need a tester>> me me me
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2013, 01:20 PM)Peter_C Wrote: hehe - need a tester>> me me me

Hehehe...I'm good as a guinea pig too, ya know Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very few PAPers are fortunate enough to have a pressure as low as 6 cm. Machines go as high as 20 cm or 25 cm.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you follow the instructions on the web link, there would be no apparatus required for the nose. One of the 'Important Operating Instructions' clearly says "Always breathe through the mouth" which precludes this need. Huh
Okay, right. I think I will wait and see what version 2 has to offer.
Chile
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, the news story says they are developing (only) a One Size Fits All version.

(Also known as One Size Fits Medium.)
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many a dentist has commented on my small mouth (though my wife doesn't think so)...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Israeli company develops "internal mask" for patients with sleep apnea
This looks like it would be only a slight improvement, if any, over the Oracle oral mask.

The Oracle is an interesting mask, with some big advantages for certain problems, but it's a bit rough for many people. It dries out the mouth and throat, and the feeling of not breathing through the nose bothers many people.

The big trick with an oral mask is to learn to sleep with it without a nose plug or clip. You need to train yourself to seal off your nose with your soft palate. Once you do this, there is no pressure in your nose, your ears, or on your nasolacrimal duct. It's a godsend for those with ear pressure or nasolacrimal duct leakage problems.

I could keep my nose closed off, but I never got used to the dryness to my throat it caused.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2013, 12:09 AM)archangle Wrote: The big trick with an oral mask is to learn to sleep with it without a nose plug or clip. You need to train yourself to seal off your nose with your soft palate.

This reminds me of having to learn to seal off the opening to your mouth when using a nasal mask.

Amazing, really, that it's possible to train ourselves to do something like that while we're sleeping.

Why can't we train ourselves to keep our throat open when we're asleep?Dont-know
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2013, 12:49 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Why can't we train ourselves to keep our throat open when we're asleep?Dont-know

Uh, you can. Play the didgeridoo, it is teaching you to do just that by toning the throat muscles and tissue.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 228 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  [CPAP] Help keeping mask on/less fragmented sleep jblack33 8 268 04-05-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 293 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 205 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 384 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 509 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.