Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Israeli company develops "internal mask" for patients with sleep apnea
Israeli company develops "internal mask" for patients with sleep apnea
JERUSALEM, Nov. 14 (Xinhua) -- An Israeli company has developed an "internal mask" for patients with sleep apnea, which, compared to traditional masks, is comfortable to wear and safer for people with cardiac problems.

Over 350 million people in the world suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), a condition in which the airway in the throat is blocked by soft tissue during sleep. If untreated, the problem can lead to serious cardiopulmonary illnesses, as the brain and the lungs are deprived of the right intake of oxygen.

The Givatayim-based company Discover Medical has developed a device called SomnuSeal to help treat patients suffering from this breathing disorder.

"We thought that the traditional mask was too uncomfortable to wear and studies showed that 50 percent of the patients ended up not using them because they could not fall asleep," Eran Lavi, CEO of Discover Medical, told Xinhua.

"What we did was put the mask inside the mouth, so as to prevent the abrasions that the external masks usually cause and we put it between the gums and the cheeks, without touching the teeth, " Lavi said.

"The patients see that the device is much smaller than the traditional air tank and mask, so it's less flashy and they feel less intimidated. Plus, since it pumps less air into the mouth, it 's also gentler on those patients who suffer from cardiac problems, " Lavi said.

[Image: Somnu_Seal_300x250.jpg]

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/...888941.htm
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Israeli company develops "internal mask" for patients with sleep apnea
Just googled it and seem been discussed in another forum back in April 2010
Post Reply Post Reply
What would a mask like that do for "dry mouth"? Make it better? Or worse? And what would you wear over your nose? Kind of interesting, but….
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: pics.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: SomnuSeal-300x250.jpg]
http://www.discovermedical.com/wp-conten...1-2012.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Reminds me if a scuba / snorkel mouthpiece. Still have to deal with the nose, though (clothespin? Wink. )
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This looks like it's an oral mask. Add nasal pillows and you've got a nifty hybrid mask that's an alternative to any full face mask. Also, this would be good for folks like me who don't tolerate a nasal mask very well and find that chin straps don't work them. Personally, I dread the notion of having to go to a full face mask, and if this product delivers as advertised it would be a life-saver for me if I ever had to do that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Darn, I was working on a product like this! Already had a prototype......
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2013, 09:31 AM)Sleepster Wrote: This looks like it's an oral mask. Add nasal pillows and you've got a nifty hybrid mask that's an alternative to any full face mask. Also, this would be good for folks like me who don't tolerate a nasal mask very well and find that chin straps don't work them. Personally, I dread the notion of having to go to a full face mask, and if this product delivers as advertised it would be a life-saver for me if I ever had to do that.

But it's internal....between the gums/teeth and lips/cheek...It would probably be easier to just "pinch off" the nose than to try to tie it into a second part like a nasal mask.

I could imagine the headgear for a combined unit (this and a nasal mask) being pretty involved and them needing a bite tab on this part to help keep the works in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something else to note (just spotted it on their website):

SomnuSeal’s air pressure should not exceed 6 cmH2O

Not sure what that means for those with a current need for higher pressures....Discover Medical claims that their testing indicated that people didn't need more than 6 cmH20, but there are a lot of folks here using a lot higher pressure than that to splint their airways and I'm not sure that such a low pressure would work for them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.