Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Calibrating?
Calibrating?
Thanks to you folks I now have access to the "clinical" readings on my new ResMed Compact CPAP. I have used CPAP for 10 years.

I am having trouble finding information on the Calibration setting. Can anyone tell me what it is and how I determine what calibration I should set it at please?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Calibrating?
(10-26-2012, 03:17 PM)patsea Wrote: Thanks to you folks I now have access to the "clinical" readings on my new ResMed Compact CPAP. I have used CPAP for 10 years.

I am having trouble finding information on the Calibration setting. Can anyone tell me what it is and how I determine what calibration I should set it at please?
welcome to forum - have you had any sleep study during the 10 years?
you may need upgrade to S9 Autoset (Not Escape Auto) full data capable machine
if not insured ...Supplier #2 (suppliers list) sell gently used and new machine at discount prices
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi patsea,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question but hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2012, 03:17 PM)patsea Wrote: Thanks to you folks I now have access to the "clinical" readings on my new ResMed Compact CPAP. I have used CPAP for 10 years.

Hi Patsea, 10 years is a long time for a CPAP. The average lifespan is usually around 5 years. In any case, CPAP machines have improved greatly in the last 10 years, both in comfort, noise reduction, effectiveness of treatment and data gathering capability. If you can at all afford it, it's probably time for you to get a new machine, as you're already double the normal lifespan of CPAP machines.

On the Calibration Setting, that's probably talking about the accuracy of delivered pressure. On those older machines, the pressure settings would have to be calibrated with a manometer. Manometers are what Clinicians use to see the accurate reading of pressure your CPAP machine delivers. Based on a test with a manometer, your machine can be calibrated to provide a more accurate pressure. Over time, the machines stray from exact pressures, and need this done about once every other year or so.

But this generally doesn't apply with newer machines.

If you have a DME (Durable Medical Equipment provider) near you (perhaps the one who gave you the CPAP)... you can ask them to calibrate your CPAP. Usually, it's a quick 3-minute thing that they can do for free.

Or you can go to any one of of the online suppliers and purchase a basic manometer that will do the same thing. If you need the Clinician Setup manual for your CPAP you can request that on our Clinician Manual Page, HERE. That manual should show you how to calibrate your CPAP machine using a manometer.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suspected UARS - need help calibrating settings shenstone 4 998 01-17-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: shenstone

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.