Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

It felt like my breathing was locking up?
It felt like my breathing was locking up?
Hi All,
Not sure how to describe this but last night aprox. 2:00am, I woke up feeling like I was stuffed up and not breathing right (Suffocating ),
I'm not sure what to make of it, but all I did was pull my nasal mask away from my face enough to release the pressure (14.2) and let it start over again and I was fine, no further problems.
I'm wondering if my mask had slid up to block the nostrils or something like that, I don't think the machine was acting up but it did wake me up, has anyone else had that issue?
Otherwise I think I'm doing pretty good for my first couple weeks.

Mr. Van Winkle
Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: It felt like my breathing was locking up?
Do you look at the data? It would be interesting to see what the data says was going on at that time. My bet is yes, the mask was out of place.

I had a mask once, nasal pillows, that had to be at a certain angle. If they were angled too far up or down, they became blocked and I could not breathe. This was a long time ago and I can't remember what the mask was. I hated it, obviously.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
yep have had that happen. Ive also been running to little humidity, have the mask push my nostril closed and it partially stick like that causing a feeling of breathing with a clothes pin partially holding my nose closed. Only happened once and I was awake with it did it so I know what happened LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, This happened again last night , It's just like the plumbing is backing up, at 4:00am this morning when my pressure was at it's peak (15 for me) I could not inhale anymore because I couldn't exhale so I pulled the mask off my face to let the air out of my lungs then I was fine until I filled up again , so after a couple times doing that I decided to put the mask over my mouth and blow out has you would to blow up a balloon, I could not so I have a problem.
Anyone guess what it could be?
My DME gave me a new mask to try, Seems very nice it's a F&P Eson nasal mask , so I will try it tonight ...hope it works.
My thought is the machines EPR is not working properly but I'm going to try what my DME wants me to it's costing nothing and if the mask doesn't do it will try another machine.
I thought I was just getting used to the N10 mask for leaks. Oh well.
I'll keep you posted on what the fix will be.
Sweet Dreams :grin:

Mr. Van Winkle
Post Reply Post Reply
I dont think it would be the pressure. Apparently the mask isnt venting properly or you would be able to blow thru venting holes at min. Probably blow right back thru the machine at 20 cm if you really wanted too. In reality 20cm of pressure isnt much actual pressure though in a mask it can feel like its a ton. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
Ghost,
Your are correct! , The new mask (F&P Eson) worked wonderful! It vented perfectly , Just after one night and the best night I've had so far.
I can say the N10 mask definitely has a venting problem.
Wow I'm just amazed how well this new mask worked for me, other than wearing it a little tight , it was quitter, the venting was well distributed,and best of all I could breath all night long without waking up!.
Thank you!

Mr. Van Winkle
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2014, 09:05 AM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote: I can say the N10 mask definitely has a venting problem.

It would be good to consider asking your Durable Medical Equipment provider to call ResMed Customer Service to ask ResMed to send a free (postage paid by ResMed) mailer so the defective N10 mask will be sent back to ResMed for failure analysis (and free replacement).

I think only DME providers are allowed to return stuff to ResMed for replacement, repair or whatever, and that ResMed may perform a brief troubleshooting over the phone to confirm the mask is defective before issuing a Return Material Authorization (RMA) number.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mr Van Winkle. You might get your DME to double check the sizing on your Eson. It has the reputation of being a mask that can be worn more loosely than most. Your pressure is pretty high so it might be that you simply do have to wear it a bit more tightly but might be worth mentioning a refit of the ESON to the DME just to be sure.

My GP has just switched me from a FFM to the Eson though I havent got it in the mail yet from the supplier. So like everything else I have had to do with this cpap thing since I started it ive researched the dickens out of that particular mask LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2014, 12:33 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Mr Van Winkle. You might get your DME to double check the sizing on your Eson. It has the reputation of being a mask that can be worn more loosely than most. Your pressure is pretty high so it might be that you simply do have to wear it a bit more tightly but might be worth mentioning a refit of the ESON to the DME just to be sure.

My GP has just switched me from a FFM to the Eson though I havent got it in the mail yet from the supplier. So like everything else I have had to do with this cpap thing since I started it ive researched the dickens out of that particular mask LOL.

Ghost,
I did the sizing for the right mask, and the medium size is what felt like the right size. Last night I loosen the mask and achieved a good fit. Again I sleep wonderful and well rested this morning.
I woke up with no soreness around the nose (only normal mask marks which diapered.) I think my fail the first night was #1 not washing the mask before warring, Please do that before using yours, #2 I do feel I wore it too tight the first night.
Any way I do feel very highly of this mask and I hope it works well for you too.
When I grow up and can post a review, I would rate this mask a 4.75 Star , Why not a 5 star, because it's only 2 days now and I think someone should always give something a chance. Great Product so far.
Mr. Van Winkle
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,045 3 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 146 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 505 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 381 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 488 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.