Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth breathing on full face mask
Mouth breathing on full face mask
I just started CPAP therapy on Friday. I was given the AirFit F20 size large mask without an option to try other masks. I do like the headgear and the magnetic clips. I've been waking up during the night multiple times with a dry, open mouth and sometimes leaks around the lower part of the mask. I'm wondering if a medium would make this better since the bottom of the mask sits low on my chin? Should I consider a chin strap to wear with the full face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth breathing on full face mask
G'day Mark. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Getting the right mask is often the most difficult thing about CPAP therapy. Every face is different, which is why there are so many makes and models on the market. It might be you'd be better off with a medium or even small mask - go to Resmed's F20 page and scroll down to Sizing. There is some information there, and you can download a printable template to help select the right size.

https://www.resmed.com/au/en/commercial-...t-f20.html
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll add that we have many Mask Sizing guides in the Mask Primer.
Should you (anyone) find one that is not there I'll add it.  Add a link to the manufactures sizing guide so I can find it.  (Manufacture links are OK)

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto to the above. First and foremost is a mask that fits.

Although I was a mouth-breather pre-CPAP, I immediately became (mostly) a nose-breather with CPAP. So I use pillows, very happily. The nights when I've tried using a full face mask, I get a dry mouth if I mouth-breathe with it. One solution I've found is to up the humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would agree. My first night I awoke with a terrible headache and stuffy nose. After adjusting the humidity way up, that problem did resolve.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi markndurham,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I went an got a medium size mask and it fits much better. Thanks folks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great!
Post Reply Post Reply
Being new to CPAP (3 weeks),  I experienced the same issues. I recently switched to a chinstrap in addition to the mask and that solved my dry mouth issues. I plan on switching to nasal pillows with the chinstrap due to some slobbering issues  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a chin strap arriving today. Hopefully it will help. Since starting last week on CPAP ive had some belly pain/gas issues in addition to dry mouth. I think I’m swallowing air on my full face mask, though it has improved with a better fitting mask. I’m eager to try the chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 243 3 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 852 7 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 113 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,583 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 299 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 164 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 114 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.