Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

It's like bootcamp
RE: It's like bootcamp
If you find that works I will need to try it for my tinnitus.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dang it, y'all are determined to make me get up. Sigh. Let me see where I put them. Gah, I hope I didn't leave them with the mower!!

Found 'em. Says on the earpiece Sony noise cancelling headphones MDR-NC7

I even changed the battery.

No, both the roar and the high pitched sound is still there. And if I sit quietly, I can hear my heartbeat, which is kinda cool in a twisted sort of way. Experiencing PVCs today so I get to hear it skip.

But the rest of the room sounds are gone. I love these things.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just did a search for them. They're, like, really old. There's much better out there now. Maybe the newer ones would work better but I don't see how a noise cancelling would work on internal noise.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
So Paula does that mean you also have tinnitus and that headset did nothing to mask the noise?
Post Reply Post Reply
Noise cancelling headphones work by measuring the sound coming into your ear from outside and generating exactly the same sound but 180 degrees out of phase. So it creates a sound to cancel out the external noise. They work best with constant sounds like a motor or the noise in a plane.

Tinnitus is generated somewhere between the inner ear and the brain. I have it bad and headphones don't do a thing for it. In fact it's worse because external sounds are damped out and the tinnitus seems louder.

The sound of your breathing in the mask is partly airborne but there is a high proportion which is conducted through your bones. So the headphones may damp it a bit, but not entirely. I really wonder how much hardware you want hanging off your head when you're trying to sleep anyway?

I've trained myself into a sort of semi-meditation where I slow my breath right down, and with every exhalation a little bit of my wakefulness slips away. Soon I've breathed out all my awake thoughts and I'm off to sleep. It takes a few minutes - I used to lie awake for hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2013, 05:51 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Noise cancelling headphones work by measuring the sound coming into your ear from outside and generating exactly the same sound but 180 degrees out of phase. So it creates a sound to cancel out the external noise. They work best with constant sounds like a motor or the noise in a plane.

Tinnitus is generated somewhere between the inner ear and the brain. I have it bad and headphones don't do a thing for it. In fact it's worse because external sounds are damped out and the tinnitus seems louder.

The sound of your breathing in the mask is partly airborne but there is a high proportion which is conducted through your bones. So the headphones may damp it a bit, but not entirely. I really wonder how much hardware you want hanging off your head when you're trying to sleep anyway?

I've trained myself into a sort of semi-meditation where I slow my breath right down, and with every exhalation a little bit of my wakefulness slips away. Soon I've breathed out all my awake thoughts and I'm off to sleep. It takes a few minutes - I used to lie awake for hours.
Paula, do you like your Quattro Air?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2013, 08:13 AM)Lukie Wrote: Paula, do you like your Quattro Air?

It's Paul, not Paula Smile

Yeah, the Quattro Air is pretty good. It's nice and light on the face and the headgear is comfortable once you get used to it. The funny thing is that I had one on trial for a few weeks and it was fantastic. But when I bought my own, I don't like it so much because it leaks a lot. Hopefully it will settle down after a while.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well folks I brought the baby home from the hospital.....s9 auto ResMed with heated tubing and Quattro Air mask. Now the big issue is to put it on tonight and see if I can wear it for at least 4 hours. Wish me luck. Any pointers or helpful suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
If it say next to stop/start button:
AutoSet is good one ... keeper, you don,t want Escape Auto

Best of luck Goodnight

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2013, 03:14 PM)Lukie Wrote: Well folks I brought the baby home from the hospital.....s9 auto ResMed with heated tubing and Quattro Air mask. Now the big issue is to put it on tonight and see if I can wear it for at least 4 hours. Wish me luck. Any pointers or helpful suggestions?

Hi Lukie,
I hope your first night goes well, good luck with your new machine.
This is easier said than done, but just try to relax.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.