Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

It's like bootcamp
It's like bootcamp
As a relative newbie i seem to gather that many....maybe most of us go through hell in the beginning. I felt worse, not better for the first couple of months. Had an occasional, pretty good night, thrown in with many frustrations. It's a little like learning to wear contact lenses....feels like crap but you have to work through that phase.

Odd thing, maybe not common with the rest of you, but my sleep doctor and staff were nice enough but offered little help with the rough spots. I am writing this because last night for the first time in four months, I slept 8 hours straight through. I remember nights when i laid there aware of each and every breath. I thought this day would never come.

This forum is a godsend. AND like bootcamp, you are so glad when it's behind you, that wonder if was really that bad. LOL, yes it was! Thanks to all of you who help and guide all us noobs.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: It's like bootcamp
Drgrimes, some take to it like a duck to water, others like a cat to water Wink Hopefully this is the start of a much better relationship with your CPAP machine Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly, not many of us have managed to find sleep docs who actually care once the diagnosis is made. Which is why this forum is so dang busy.

As for listening to your breath, stop doing that. Consider getting something that makes "white noise" to mask the sound. Or pretend your breathing is waves on the beach and use it to go to sleep. I use an app called "WhiteNoise". It is available in both Apple and Android. I heart it a lot!

Look into "sleepy hygiene", too.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2013, 09:35 AM)drgrimes Wrote: This forum is a godsend.
+1
Most of the times, we don,t get sufficient supports from doctors

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2013, 12:40 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Sadly, not many of us have managed to find sleep docs who actually care once the diagnosis is made. Which is why this forum is so dang busy.

As for listening to your breath, stop doing that. Consider getting something that makes "white noise" to mask the sound. Or pretend your breathing is waves on the beach and use it to go to sleep. I use an app called "WhiteNoise". It is available in both Apple and Android. I heart it a lot!

Look into "sleepy hygiene", too.

I'm wondering if noise canceling headphones would work? I bought a Bose because my neighbors above me were so noisy. I will have to see if it masks internal noise as well. I have a lot of apps that make sleep friendly noise that shut off after an hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will be putting my new sleep doctor to the test tomorrow about this time. I am going in for my one month checkup and looking forward to him fine tuning my machine and answering a few questions.

We will see if he is the winner he appeared to be at our first visit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2013, 06:23 PM)bwexler Wrote: I will be putting my new sleep doctor to the test tomorrow about this time. I am going in for my one month checkup and looking forward to him fine tuning my machine and answering a few questions.

We will see if he is the winner he appeared to be at our first visit.

Don't be let down if the second visit is not as good as the first. Mine seemed overwhelmed by all my questions and he brought with him a visiting medical student from Nigeria which kind of dampened my enthusiasm as he seemed focused on teaching her. Three is a crowd anyway. Plus it's not even a teaching hospital.
So don't shower all your energy on the "experts." Sometimes your best help and advice can come from fellow sufferers. I was very under-whelmed on my second visit. Hopefully they got all the technical part right. I will get treatment and that's what I'm looking for. The polysomnogram was what was needed and I got answers. There's no magic. $6000 bucks worth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi drgrimes, Glad to hear that you had a good sleep last night.
Here's hoping your "bootcamp" days are over, give or take a bad night once in a while, hang in there.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have noise canceling headsets I use with my phone for music when I mow. It cuts down on the sound of the mower yet allows me to hear the music without killing my ears. I love them muchly. They're not Bose. Sony I think. I can't find them right now, of course. Probably in my briefcase which is waaay across the room and I am far too lazy to get up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2013, 08:20 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I have noise canceling headsets I use with my phone for music when I mow. It cuts down on the sound of the mower yet allows me to hear the music without killing my ears. I love them muchly. They're not Bose. Sony I think. I can't find them right now, of course. Probably in my briefcase which is waaay across the room and I am far too lazy to get up.

Do u think they would cancel out internal noise like your breath or heart beat or breathing sounds in the mask?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.