Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

It this normal?
RE: It this normal?
Notable:

Max pressure set too low as the machine is spending too much time at max; and snore and flow limitation are too high.

Best to display the actual measured pressure (called mask pressure in sleepyhead) rather than "pressure" which is the target pressure commanded by the machines processor. Best to rescale flow rate vertical axis +/- 180 loses detail. Try +/- 100.

It's possible that your physiology is the source of pulsing -- you are snoring loudly.

Let's see the same plot with the mask pressure. You may have to delete the one attached to attach a new one as you are limited in total attachment Kilobytes.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Again I agree with justMongo.

When I started CPAP I found that it was very difficult for me to explain what was going on because it was all so new and much of it was when I was either asleep or in the sleep/wake period, just not thinking clearly during this time. Someone told me that CPAP is like an alien sitting on my face blowing air up my nose and they were right

The graph of the data can only tell what is actually going on. Your pressure is bouncing against the top level, this is disturbing and could indeed be felt like pulsing during inhale. As justMongo said, your max limit needs to be raised, you may also want to increase your min setting to track the increase in max pressure so you don't jump up and down with large pressure changes.

All this should help decrease or totally stop your snoring and flow limitations (these are what leads to apneas and hypopneas and should not be happening with CPAP set correctly).

I think you will find that the machine is working as it should WITH YOUR SETTINGs, you are indeed feeling what you are describe and the machine is working hard to provide you with good therapy, you just need to help it by adjusting the settings.

If you don't feel comfortable increasing the therapy settings, talk to your DME, RT, or Doctor they should look at your use data and make the correct changes for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best to rescale flow rate vertical axis +/- 180 loses detail. Try +/- 100.
Sorry, how do I go about doing that?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
right click on the scale to the left of that graph, mouse over Y-Scale menu item, change auto to over-ride and select min/max
Post Reply Post Reply
PoolQ, Thank you for quick help.

As justMongo suggested, replaced the chart with 'Mask Pressure' showing.
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not see any reason to believe there is anything wrong with your machine.
I would just bump up max pressure about 0.4 cm and try it for a few nights -- examine data -- and perhaps bump up again until the 95% pressure is below the max set pressure. Give the machine a little headroom to abate snore and flow limitation.

You could show it to your doc -- who will likely say: Hey, your AHI is 1.17. You're doing great.
And you are doing well. AHI isn't the whole story.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You may try the dreamwear mask...I can bury my face in the pillow as long as I like. It is a little fussy as most mask seem to be. Need the right size cushion to control leaks. When it leaks I just shift my head a little and it generallySleep-well stops leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having the machine drop the pressure at the same time as a loud snore and large flow limitation right around 23:30 makes me think that there is something wrong with the machine. Add to that the pressure pulsations and I definitely think that something is not working correctly. I would definitely have it checked out.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2016, 08:02 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Having the machine drop the pressure at the same time as a loud snore and large flow limitation right around 23:30 makes me think that there is something wrong with the machine. Add to that the pressure pulsations and I definitely think that something is not working correctly. I would definitely have it checked out.

Hi PaytonA - I think the machine appears to be operating normally after the big arousal and likely change in sleep position around 23:30, immediately after which the Flow has improved strength and all snoring and Flow Limitations stop, so the Pressure starts slowly dropping.

Hi theone - I think you should immediately reduce EPR to 1 to see if you like it better with less EPR. Sometimes it takes us a while to get used to the pressure changes between inhale versus exhale, and perhaps it is causing you to momentarily interrupt your inhalation, making your inhalation somewhat stop-and-go?

If your machine feels like it is pulsating, I would guess you either simply don't like normal operation when EPR setting is 3 or else your inhalations are ragged, stop-and-go, maybe because you are bothered by (and reacting to) EPR.

I think it would help us see what is going on if you could post a zoomed-in period (showing about a five minute period) for a time when you think the pulsating may have been occurring while you were trying to get to sleep.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea is usually highly positional, with flat on our back usually being the worst position. If you can keep yourself from rolling onto your back while asleep this may greatly lower your pressure needs.

Hang in there. It will get much better.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought and something that I noticed for the first time this morning. When using humidity, after you turn the machine off, I had always known about the air dry "feature" in Resmed machines, but I never noticed that the air pulses. If you lie still you can feel the pulsing..

Does this have anything to do with this thread, I have no idea-the machine can indeed pulse at a noticeable level.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 416 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 253 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,694 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 726 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 537 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.