Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

It this normal?
RE: It this normal?
Hi All,
Per vsheline request I'm posting the five minute period where I think the pulsing occurs.. One more thing I may add the pulsing is not constant but it increase in intensity and frequency as well.

As for sleeping.. My preference is to sleep on either side or on my belly. I haven't been able to sleep on my back in looong time because I snore really bad and my mouth dries up instantly..

@ PoolQ
"If you lie still you can feel the pulsing.."
Yes, as long as don't inhale.
The pulsing stops the moment I inhale..
It maybe machines way to keep me breathing, if so then this is not for me. So far I can honestly say I have consistently sleep lot better with nasal strips..

Tried to attach the newest SH report as mentioned early but can't do to size limit. Is there a way to remove prior attachments from early posts by me? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2016, 08:08 PM)theone Wrote: Is there a way to remove prior attachments from early posts by me? Thanks.

Go to your User CP (control Panel) -- top of page.
Look on the left under: Miscellaneous
You'll see manage attachments. You can see what you've attached and delete a previous attachment to then permit you to attach your new attachment.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for quick explanation.

Hope it will shed some light on this..
Post Reply Post Reply
okay I had to go back in my sleephead data to when I had the same machine as you have. My plots look exactly like yours. Those "pulses" happen when I inhale and the pressure goes up when I have reached my peak inhale flow and then the flow drops back down to zero before I exhale. You also show the "detection" pulses during your apneas, these are 1 cm pulses used to detect that an apnea is obstructive or central. The inhale/exhale pulses are only 2cm pulses at change-over.

Are you sure you are feeling these? Most people will not be able to feel this level of pulsing.

One of the problems with being new to CPAP is that this is like an alien sitting on our face blowing air up our nose, this is nothing like we have ever felt before and have no words to really describe what it feels like.

Lets let others chime in and see what they say
Post Reply Post Reply
You also show the "detection" pulses during your apneas, these are 1 cm pulses used to detect that an apnea is obstructive or central. The inhale/exhale pulses are only 2cm pulses at change-over.

Are you sure you are feeling these? Most people will not be able to feel this level of pulsing.

That's exactly what I'm feeling, I think.. My breathing pattern slows down allot when I'm in deep sleep and relaxed. After exhaling, right before inhale, the pulsing starts. I can induce and feel the pulsing when purposefully hold my breath. All different brand machines behave the same way?

Just quick note. Increased the upper pressure as suggested and nothing changed as far as I can tell except for my mask broke seal..
Post Reply Post Reply
Good Morning theone
Welcome
(07-03-2016, 11:50 AM)theone Wrote: I'm very light sleeper who prefers to sleep on his belly, cannot sleep on my back so sleeping on the side are only option at this moment.
May I ask why you can't sleep on you back. I was also a light sleeper who always slept on his belly. I also would bury my face in the pillow
and breath through the pillow.

I now realize that the reason I could not sleep on my back was my sensitivity to the formation of apneas, that's what was kept me a awake when I laid down on my back.

(07-03-2016, 11:50 AM)theone Wrote: Problem with all of it is the pulsating air pressure is keeping me awake.

I also found the mask and air pressure kept me awake in the beginning, it took me six weeks to get past that. I was miserable for those first six weeks but it was worth it.

I worked my way into using it. I remember siting in the recliner with the mask on for hours at first trying to go to sleep. Then giving up an going to bed. I did that for thirteen weeks before I was comfortable moving the device into the bedroom.

See this old thread from my first 60 day of therapy some of the advice I received from the folks in the forum is in the thread and was very helpful (I will apologize now for my typing/spelling errors in the thread)
I-love-Apnea-Board
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...on-Learned
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2016, 12:09 AM)PoolQ Wrote: okay I had to go back in my sleephead data to when I had the same machine as you have. My plots look exactly like yours. Those "pulses" happen when I inhale and the pressure goes up when I have reached my peak inhale flow and then the flow drops back down to zero before I exhale. You also show the "detection" pulses during your apneas, these are 1 cm pulses used to detect that an apnea is obstructive or central. The inhale/exhale pulses are only 2cm pulses at change-over.

One of the problems with being new to CPAP is that this is like an alien sitting on our face blowing air up our nose, this is nothing like we have ever felt before and have no words to really describe what it feels like.

Lets let others chime in and see what they say

I seem to be missing these 2cm pulses. I can see the detection pulses but not the others. Could you point out a specific one to me.

Thanks,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The "detection" pulses are 1 cm-water amplitude; and 4 Hertz in frequency. They do not start until breathing has stopped for 4 seconds. ResMed calls this their FOT algorithm which is to detect they type of apnea by "listening" with the flow sensor. It would be unusual to feel the FOT pulses; but not impossible.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you guys for the replys/advice but the words of encouragement as well. Much appreciated.Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2016, 08:47 AM)0rangebear Wrote: Good Morning theone
Welcome
(07-03-2016, 11:50 AM)theone Wrote: I'm very light sleeper who prefers to sleep on his belly, cannot sleep on my back so sleeping on the side are only option at this moment.
May I ask why you can't sleep on you back. I was also a light sleeper who always slept on his belly. I also would bury my face in the pillow
and breath through the pillow.

I now realize that the reason I could not sleep on my back was my sensitivity to the formation of apneas, that's what was kept me a awake when I laid down on my back.

(07-03-2016, 11:50 AM)theone Wrote: Problem with all of it is the pulsating air pressure is keeping me awake.

I also found the mask and air pressure kept me awake in the beginning, it took me six weeks to get past that. I was miserable for those first six weeks but it was worth it.

I worked my way into using it. I remember siting in the recliner with the mask on for hours at first trying to go to sleep. Then giving up an going to bed. I did that for thirteen weeks before I was comfortable moving the device into the bedroom.

See this old thread from my first 60 day of therapy some of the advice I received from the folks in the forum is in the thread and was very helpful (I will apologize now for my typing/spelling errors in the thread)
I-love-Apnea-Board
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...on-Learned

Thank you for pointing this link.
I guess as the saying goes 'no pain no gain'

As of now I will continue as I'm (with out changing clinical settings) ti'll after visit with doctor July 14 who did the original tests and prescribed the treatment and machine settings.. In short time here learned what question to ask and the reason behind them, so that definitely helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 212 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 420 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 254 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,695 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 726 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 537 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.