Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

It this normal?
RE: It this normal?
(07-08-2016, 09:04 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(07-08-2016, 12:09 AM)PoolQ Wrote: okay I had to go back in my sleephead data to when I had the same machine as you have. My plots look exactly like yours. Those "pulses" happen when I inhale and the pressure goes up when I have reached my peak inhale flow and then the flow drops back down to zero before I exhale. You also show the "detection" pulses during your apneas, these are 1 cm pulses used to detect that an apnea is obstructive or central. The inhale/exhale pulses are only 2cm pulses at change-over.

Are you sure you are feeling these? Most people will not be able to feel this level of pulsing.

One of the problems with being new to CPAP is that this is like an alien sitting on our face blowing air up our nose, this is nothing like we have ever felt before and have no words to really describe what it feels like.

Lets let others chime in and see what they say

I seem to be missing these 2cm pulses. I can see the detection pulses but not the others. Could you point out a specific one to me.

Thanks,

PaytonA

at 5:54:00 starts what I think are the 1 cm detection pulses and right after they end (with the apnea) are the 2cm "pulses" that I think are just the machine responding to the end of the inhale. I do not think that these are any kind of test "pulse" they are however low level repeated pressure variations. I am trying to figure out what the OP is feeling as "pulses" and correlating their comments to what is on the graph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a link to an article describing how the ResMed FOT algorithm works:

http://www.resmed.com/fr/assets/document...-paper.pdf
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
theone,

"Yes, as long as don't inhale.
The pulsing stops the moment I inhale..
It maybe machines way to keep me breathing, if so then this is not for me. So far I can honestly say I have consistently sleep lot better with nasal strips.."

I am pretty sure now that you are feeling the test pulses that the machine uses to determine obstructive or central apnea. You can indeed cause these to happen by holding your breath. If you lay still and focus I have no doubt that you can feel them.

All the machines have some way to detect apnea types, but I might suggest that these pulses many not be waking you up-it may be the apnea itself that wakes you up and then you feel the pulses. The way to stop these pulses is to stop the apneas.

For me anything that disturbs my sleep is very disruptive to me and not getting enough sleep just adds to my discomfort. When I first wake by ability to figure out what is going on and why is kind of fuzzy. The graphs are the only way for me to tell what might be going on.

Looking at your numbers you still have a lot of obstructive apneas going on. Getting all this under control is a process that typically requires small changes and trying it for a night or several and then more adjustments. If you are able to hang in there, this treatment works.

The upper limit was suggested to be increased because you are spending a lot of time right up against that upper limit.

Since you are having OA's and quite low CA's(these can be triggered by pressure changes, so we need to watch them). I would increase my lower limit, slowly by 0.2-0.4 a night until the OA's come down or the CA's start to creep up.

If the OA's stop so will the pulses.

Also you seem to have ramp enabled, as do I . How do you reel when you first turn on the machine? Do you feel like you are getting enough air? I need my ramp starting pressure close to 6 before I feel okay with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that sonicboom. Just finished reading it, the problem is, the more I read the more confused I get..Smile:Cool

It appears my machine is never model and it use the same algorithm as S9.. So , according to study I shouldn't feel a thing..Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2016, 09:04 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I seem to be missing these 2cm pulses. I can see the detection pulses but not the others. Could you point out a specific one to me.

EPR is set to 2 cm. So, the pressure graph has a 2 cm switch over to/from inhale to exhale.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2016, 12:50 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(07-08-2016, 09:04 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I seem to be missing these 2cm pulses. I can see the detection pulses but not the others. Could you point out a specific one to me.

EPR is set to 2 cm. So, the pressure graph has a 2 cm switch over to/from inhale to exhale.

heh learn something new every day. forehead slap, oh of course!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2016, 07:56 AM)theone Wrote: You also show the "detection" pulses during your apneas, these are 1 cm pulses used to detect that an apnea is obstructive or central.

That's exactly what I'm feeling, I think.. My breathing pattern slows down allot when I'm in deep sleep and relaxed. After exhaling, right before inhale, the pulsing starts. I can induce and feel the pulsing when purposefully hold my breath. All different brand machines behave the same way?

If the fast (4Hz) FOT pulses are disturbing to you then I suggest you try switching to the Philips Respironics auto-adjusting model of Dreamstation.

Instead of an extended 4Hz oscillation starting only 4 seconds after breathing stops, the Philips Respironics APAP machines use a single "pressure pulse" and I think it isn't performed until after 10 seconds of no breathing.

(07-08-2016, 12:18 PM)theone Wrote: It appears my machine is never model and it use the same algorithm as S9.. So , according to study I shouldn't feel a thing..Thinking-about

A few other users have had to switch away from ResMed because the FOT was bothersome to them. Rare, but it happens.

I think would help greatly to eventually work the Min Pressure up to 11 in order to avoid most of the apneas.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just quick update.
My doctor have seen data from my machine and ordered a Max pressure increase from 12 cm to 20 cm today, and asked for me to bring the SD card. Day after tomorrow I have scheduled appointment.My OA number is pretty high, so I will ask as suggested, to increase Pressure Min a bit. More info as I know something..
Post Reply Post Reply
Just comeback from doctors visit and she seems happy with the progress.
After recent Max pressure change the pulsing subsided somewhat, I don't know the reason.. But, I do sleep little bit better
Found out my sleep study numbers ..
AHI 38.3
OAI 16.9
CAI 0.9
Lowest Desat (what ever that mean) 84

She recommended pressure change to Min-9cm and Max-18cm, also asked about the pulsing that keep me from sleeping she said one of her patients last year was complaining about it,the problem was eliminated by finding the final number and removing the machine algorithm out equation. I guess time will show..
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Since there is no way that I know of, how to edit post after the edit option is gone.. I'm posting correct value that I entered incorrectly. The Max pressure should be 14cm. Sorry about that. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 212 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 421 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 254 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,695 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 726 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 538 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.