Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Itchy Nose
Itchy Nose

Does anyone have a cure for this. It's the one thing that's keeping me from sleeping well with this. My nose doesn't touch anything but just keeps itching all night. I've tried with and without humidifier. Seems to more about pressure drafts in the mask. But i'd love any ideas to help me deal with it!

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Itchy Nose
Is the itch on the outside surface of your nose or on the inside, in the nasal passageways?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I use the same mask but I do not normally have that problem any more. I used to have itches on the outside of my nose on occasion but I guess I trained myself to ignore them (don't ask me how I did that). Now every once in a great while I will get an itch so bothersome that I end up having to shut the machine off and take the mask off and scratch it. All in all did I overcome the problem? Well I guess that I did for the most part and I guess that I did it through some Zen style meditation.

I do not know if this is really any help but thought I woul.d share my experience with an itchy nose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 11:15 AM)PollCat Wrote: Is the itch on the outside surface of your nose or on the inside, in the nasal passageways?

Outside and skin itches around face inside mask too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem, I have been ignoring it but it is a pain, some times it take great effort to ignore, seems like drafts and moisture condensation maybe, I am unsure but man it can get to be a pain.

maybe some cream or freezing salve would work, anyone tried it?
Post Reply Post Reply
For me it seems to be a psychological thing. I had it for the first few weeks but now it seems to have gone away. I think that knowing I can't rub my nose leads to an automatic desire to do so. I have noticed this when I go to the dentist. The minute the dentist gets me in the helpless position with tools in my mouth, I have a overwhelming need to rub my nose.

Good news is I had forgotten all about it...until now...
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem when I first started using my cpap mask. A lot of the time it turned out to be a kind of 'nervous tick', that goes away if you use your cpap enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Matt! Welcome to the site. How long have you used CPAP? Is it working well for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 07:54 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Hi Matt! Welcome to the site. How long have you used CPAP? Is it working well for you?

Hi Retired Guy.

I've used CPAP for the past few years.. I am now doing a research project on the effectiveness of using it and the long-term side effects if any. I am planning on releasing this book on Kindle!

Thanks for your introduction.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a similar problem. When I first put on the mask and turn on the CPAP, it feels like little pieces of lint land on my nose. I don't turn off the CPAP but I do unclip one side and reach in to scratch the annoying lint away. Recently, I added the fine particle filter to the regular filter and this issue has greatly reduced.

Hope this helps. I tried the Zen method to ignore and it is impossible for me - so far anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,736 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 156 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 110 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,784 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 140 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 632 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 456 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.