Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] 3 days in use of machine
RE: 3 days in use of machine
Hi Elle
Do not fear sleep.
The fact that your body is waking up all the time and you're not getting any sleep shows that
your nervous system is in good enough working order to recognize that your oxygen levels may be dropping so
it jars you awake, "WAKE UP AND BREATHE, DAMMIT!!!"

Now you need to correct for the issue that you aren't getting any good Z time in.
You just need a little artificial help now and that's what the CPAP therapy will do for you.
(Just like about 40 million other Americans, Europeans and other assorted folks. Isn't that amazing?)

Don't worry that you may come to harm in some way from using the machine.
I proved this to myself by trying to use it to blow up a kid's toy balloon and the CPAP is too feeble to do that.
Our sinuses are quite delicate though and need to get used to this bit of extra pressure so they may be sore for a while when you wake up but they get toughend up after several weeks and the pain fades away.

Your chest muscles may get sore as well since they need to build up some strength to exhale against that bit of pressure too.
When the soreness goes away you can then focus on improving things in general and optimizing your sleep experience.

Sometimes I will wake up from some other event, like the cats misbehaving and find I am breathing normally, I can't hear the machine running over the air conditioning so I have to check and make sure I have some pressure by waving a hand in front of the mask exhaust vent. A 'foosh' sound tells me all is well.

Another concern is a sudden stoppege of the CPAP, from power failure or equipment breakdown.
To that I can say that I did yank my hose off the mask once by accident. (it happens)
The sudden pressure drop woke me up right away!

Anything else you run into, this group can help you with so you are in good hands now!

Sleep-well

Cheers!

=^.^=

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 3 days in use of machine
Welcome Elle.

Sleep apnea is a serious medical condition, but almost no one ever completely suffocates to death due to sleep apnea. Eventually, your brain panics and either does something to get you breathing again or just wakes you up and you start breathing again.

Sleep apnea tends to do a little bit of harm to you every night from low oxygen, stress hormones, poor sleep and other things that happen when you get strangled for a while. Eventually, you'll get brain damage, heart damage, and other health problems. This can lead to heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure and other problems.

If you can manage to wear the machine every night, you're 80% the way there. We talk a lot here on this board about adjusting your therapy, but just wearing the machine every night improves your odds enormously.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,211 Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,309 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  3 Days of Oscar Charts - Looking for advice Jakeb24 5 129 04-15-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 121 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 205 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 457 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 367 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.