Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Itchy nose
Itchy nose
I have a history of trying CPAP's and many different masks in the past and could not tolerate the masks. The Quattro Air full face mask was tried at my most recent sleep study and it worked like a charm. I've been using the CPAP and mask since the end of April 2014.

I am tolerating the machine and mask fine and actually look forward to putting it on at night because I'm sleeping so much better.

However...my nose itches like crazy in the night. The humidifier is set on 4 (5 is the highest). The itching is around the edge of my nostril or sometimes just into the nostril. I have tried saline nasal spray before I put on the mask and use a nasal hair trimmer regularly. The itching causes me to wake up frequently through the night and have to lift the mask to scratch.

Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Itchy nose
I occasionally have itchy nose and have to scratch it. Smile
Just stick with it and it will get better as time goes on.
Another thing you can try is rubbing in a little anti-itch cream just before bed. That might help a little. Be sure to massage it into the skin well and clean off any excess.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pick up a tube of HPA Lanolin available in the baby department of your local pharmacy. Do not use it according to the directions on the tube as that will probably not help your nose. Instead, just put a tiny amount on each nostril when you go to bed at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps an oral antihistamine?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
HPA Lanolin cream helps if using nasal pillows but as "JeremiahOSB" using full face mask and the irritation around the edge of the nostril, might be the cushion wrong size and rubbing on the nostrils. Try different size cushion or different mask
Post Reply Post Reply
I started using a FFM about a month ago and found it to be very itchy either inside the nose or around the lips.
I do have to take my mask off a few times to scratch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JeremiahOSB,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Could be that your itchy nose will settle down as you get used to the mask and machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
-I have found that normally I can condition myself to ignore slight itchiness long enough for it to go away. Last night, however, I got an itch just under my nose that was so persistent and insistent that I finally had to shut the machine down, take my mask off and scratch it. What a pain but it sure felt good. It did not bother me at all after that.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 647 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.