Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Going a week without my humidifier
Going a week without my humidifier
We are going on a cruise and I am contemplating traveling light and leaving the humidifier at home.  Has anybody done this with any success for a week.

It's not really a big deal but we travel with two machines and it would certainly lighten the load.

TIA,

Neal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Going a week without my humidifier
You don't mention which machines you have...

The AirSense 10 require the humidifier tank or a special side plate to operate properly. In addition the carry case holds every thing neatly in place, so you don't save anything on size.

The humidifier for the S9 series is completely detachable, so leaving it home is not a problem.

I'm not familiar with the Respironics models, so I can't advise you there.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds as if you can do w/o humidification. I tried a couple of times, and found out that I prefer it over not having it. 

I have a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. Everything fits in it's case real nice like.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's a Respironics DreamStation, the humidifier module can be separated. There's a rectangle latch button you push so you can pull them apart. After doing that your hose attaches where the humidifier was docked.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try sleeping without the humidifier for a few days prior to leaving. I wouldn't even dream about it but everyone is different.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, if you are going on a cruise, then that is the most opportune time to try going without a humidifier.  You will be in the most humid air anyway.  

About 4 years ago, I decided to see how long I could go without the humidifier.   It was early Spring and the ambient humidity had risen for my area.  I figured that by the Fall I would need to use it again.  To my surprise, my body adapted to the changing of the seasons, and I've never needed the humidifier since.  I hope you are as lucky as I am on this one. (Forget about my luck on other things...)
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2021, 07:07 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Try sleeping without the humidifier for a few days prior to leaving. I wouldn't even dream about it but everyone is different.

Lolabove This.

Time spent on analysis, planning, and preparation is seldom wasted.  Do a trial for two consecutive nights....minimum.  If you get a decent sleep on at least one of those two nights, you're probably going to survive the ordeal if that's what it turns out to be for you.

Two points from me:

The engineering and development committee didn't convince the CEO to make a dedicated air humidifier part of the package because it is often unnecessary.  My strong suspicion is that it was included, at cost to the patient, because it solves a lot of problems for many/most users; and

You should worry much more about bulk/volume loss than weight.  They'll be empty until you set up your machine at bedside where their weight won't matter.  Unless you're going where decent water will be in short supply?  But, when we went on a cruise three years ago, me only three months into my PAP therapy, I shoved (clean) socks or a pair of underwear into the reservoir.  At least I got to use the space.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. We are both using the Dreamstation (and am fully aware of the recall). I understand how to separate the humidifier, I was just wondering if anybody who regularly uses a humidifier went without one for the week and survived.

I may just try if for a night, but we do live in Las Vegas so humidity is kind of important.

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
There are people that use CPAP without humidity and there are also CPAP machines without humidifiers. The majority of people do best with humidity though and that is why it is built into almost every machine these days.

Frankly I think you would be crazy to not take your humidifiers and guarantee yourself the same quality of sleep you currently have. The space/weight savings are so minimal, I guarantee that some of the clothing etc you are considering taking will have much less effect on the enjoyability of your vacation.
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have mentioned, if you're going somewhere where the humidity is already sufficient, and the season supports that, you'll be able to likely easily survive very well without the humidifier on the DS1. You also won't have to worry about always having quality water for the humidifier. It'll save you from having to clean the reservoir each day too. You can also do without a heated hose perhaps and go with a lighter hose if you have one. All pluses for travel.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 104 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 202 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.