Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Jaw Alignment as a cause of OSA
Jaw Alignment as a cause of OSA
So I’ve been using my new CPAP machine now for a couple of weeks and although my AHI is extremely good between 0-2, I’m in fact suffering quite badly....

I’m struggling to stay awake and alert during the day, falling back to sleep, napping earlier in the day, can’t get out of bed.

In the evening time for a few hours I stay awake, then I start having trouble again keeping awake with dropping off with little micro sleeps occurring, when I try to concentrate and read things during this period I can’t read a sentence without getting lost mid sentence and never finishing and having to restart, this will repeat until I make it to the end or give up...

Obviously all this is rather disconcerting and not a nice experience...

Today, I’ve spoken to my sleep doctor and his thinking is though the CPAP machine thinks I’m doing well, he isn’t convinced, he is now saying that perhaps I’ve got issue with jaw alignment issue that is causing my tongue to collapse and block my airways during sleep causing the OSA. He is saying the CPAP isn’t going to make things better and potential it can make things worse...

Has anyone else heard this, been treated for this type of problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Jaw Alignment as a cause of OSA
if your ahi is 0-2, it isn't likely that apnea is the problem. if your tongue blocks your airway for 10 seconds the machine will flag an apnea or hypopnea so the doc's explanation makes no sense to me. something maybe similar: positional chin tucking can create an obstruction that can't be overcome by cpap pressure but we see this in the machine data as clusters of obstructive apnea. post some oscar charts for more-informed responses. the data might indicate that you are experiencing arousals or micro arousals throughout the night and might give a hint as to the cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleepless,

I’ll post some of the last days charts in a sec.

I forgot to mention he wants to perform, subject to insurance approval, an Alice nite 1 test over two consecutive nights at home next week... without the CPAP machine... whatever that will prove...

Obviously I can go into sleep lab at the moment because in the UK everything is shutdown and because of my medical situation, I’m extremely vulnerable to virus, I’m in isolation at home and not allowed outside by Government instruction.
Post Reply Post Reply
These are the last three days I have graphs for:

Post Reply Post Reply
We would need to see the chart with no zoom, not just the results in the left panel area. What's shown has very little info that could help identify what you're dealing with.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SarcasticDave94,

Sorry, I didn’t think there was any zoom, I thought they are showing a full day, the graphs are as they are shown when I first select a given day.

If you could tell me what I need to do with them, to give what you need to see, I can produce more screenshots.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't tell if it's my end that messed the screenshots up or not. Anyway, sorry for the back and forth hallra, I do want to help you get the help needed. Can you tell us if you are using Windows, Mac, or a Linux based computer for the operating system?

If it happens to be Windows like what I've got, here's how I am doing an OSCAR screenshot. Say that you are looking at the screenshots you have there. Here on the Daily page, you should be looking at the whole graph set across your page, the events, flow rate, leak, etc. On Windows based devices, you can then push key F11 to maximize the OSCAR on the screen. Follow up with a click of F12 to do the screenshot. It's saved wherever your screenshots file would be located. From there, it's attaching exactly as you did to attach these charts. If this is the same as you've done here, then for some odd reason, maybe my view is goofy. Because what I see is a zoomed in orange AHI box and a bit of number data below that, and that's it.

I'll try to copy your first chart above to show you what I'm seeing now on the charts. Let's see if I can get my attachment to show...

[attachment=22392]

OK yeah this is what I see.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, something weird has happened because that wasn’t what I’ve posted...

I’m on Windows 10 like you...

However, I’m now looking via my phone at I see it as you do as it’s messed up...

Not sure what’s going on...
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, it was what I posted...

It’s a bug in Oscar....

When I press F12, Oscar is not capturing what I’m seeing on screen, it’s capturing what you are seeing... I will have to use windows Snipping Tool to do the screenshots... give me a few minutes...
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the screenshots again taken with snipping tool:

Hopefully they look ok this time.

I will need to post about the Oscar bug...
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.