Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Jaw / Teeth Discomfort
RE: Jaw / Teeth Discomfort
Toniko,

I use the Wisp. It made my gums and teeth hurt, too, for the first few nights that I used it. Not as badly as what you've mentioned, though.

The Wisp was the second mask that I tried. It was so much better than the first one, in spite of the sore teeth, that I kept it. I don't know if my body adjusted to it or if maybe I had the straps a little too tight at first, but the tooth soreness problem went away after a few days.

I have autoimmune arthritis and have had problems with TMJ in the past. My experience with TMJ and jaw pain in general is that it seems to be the effect of several combined factors (clenching the jaw, bad upper/lower teeth alignment, habits like gum chewing, etc.) This can mean that adding in a new stressor like a CPAP mask can cause a flare-up of pain.

I'm glad that the Dreamwear is working for you. That's the one that I want to try next.

Oh - I think it may also be possible that my Wisp mask frame was just too rigid when it was new. I started off using the size "L" nasal cushion, but it felt too large to fit in the space between my upper lip and nose, so I switched to the "S/M" cushion. That one was too small, so I eventually switched back to the "L" cushion. I have had one cushion replacement since then, about 3 weeks ago, but I did not notice any renewed teeth/gum pain.

So I'm not really sure if the original pain was caused by something that wasn't right or adjusted properly in the mask itself or if I just adjusted to it with time. I like the Wisp. It's low-leak and I can sleep on my side pretty well with it (some discomfort problems from the straps on my temples.)
Post Reply Post Reply
green wings, that makes sense. I'm wondering if maybe I might have worn the Wisp a little too tight or something; maybe it didn't feel like it when I first put it on, but the continuous pressure against my upper lip may have caused the soreness. I don't believe I have Bruxism, or anything like that.

I really do like the Dreamwear; I've been using it for over 3 weeks now. It took a while to find the "sweet spot", where I have the gear tightened to the perfect fit so that it doesn't leak at all, and I am not waking up at all in the middle of the night to adjust it anymore. I noticed that some people mentioned that it is more for back-sleepers, but I only sleep on my side. I have no tooth pain at all any more :-)
[Image: tz8toniko.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Toniko. I'm glad that the Dreamwear is working for you. I have been trying to decide whether to try it when I get a new mask next month. I have seen so many reviews where people say that it is too noisy. I'm assuming that you don't think that.

I'm a side sleeper, too. It's only recently that I seem to be sleeping more on my side while wearing my CPAP mask. When I first started, I seemed to unconsciously stay on my back.

I'm glad that your tooth and jaw pain has gone. Smile

(04-26-2016, 02:03 AM)toniko Wrote: I really do like the Dreamwear; I've been using it for over 3 weeks now. It took a while to find the "sweet spot", where I have the gear tightened to the perfect fit so that it doesn't leak at all, and I am not waking up at all in the middle of the night to adjust it anymore. I noticed that some people mentioned that it is more for back-sleepers, but I only sleep on my side. I have no tooth pain at all any more :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
I just had a Septoplasty and trim of my inferior turbinates. In the "after surgery" notes, the surgeon noted that while the splints were in the nose that pain and discomfort in the front teeth was common and that it would abate after removal. I asked her about the cause today and she said that she had not seen any studies on it, but suspected it was referral pain from a nerve in the nose. This is the exact same discomfort that initial use of the nasal mask caused. So the slight pressure on the nose might be what causes this. No definitive reason, but an interesting possibility.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2016, 11:26 PM)chill Wrote: Thank you for your welcome, support, and ideas. i will look for a cheap night guard to see if that offers any relief. I think my mask is already pretty loose, if I had it much loser I don't think it would seal at a all.

I am taking antidepressants and other meds but I did not have any jaw soreness until I started CPAP/APAP. I did load my data into SleepyHead, but I am still feeling my away around what all that data means. How can I see if I am exhaling through my mouth? It does seem to be noticeably worse in the middle of the night.

Thanks to everyone!
Chuck

Try two night guards, both upper and lower. My experience is that they help even out the pressure on all teeth. If you chew the guards unconsciously, you will chew with all teeth and the pressure will not concentrate on any particular tooth/teeth.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no teeth on my upper jaw, and only 4 left on my lower. To keep my lower teeth from irritating my upper jaw I wear a custom made mouth guard. Had to protect them somehow.
Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort hypnos 3 409 11-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Front Teeth is hurting in morning. kdpatel 3 679 03-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: TexasDon
  Cpap - Teeth Grinding dapal 3 772 10-03-2022, 11:15 AM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Waking up, discomfort komoli 0 491 04-01-2022, 02:31 PM
Last Post: komoli
  [Pressure] Mask discomfort DaveMur 6 647 01-05-2022, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Teeth/gums feel weird in the AM HockeyGoon 7 1,134 09-24-2021, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Kuutar
  Teeth Grinding and Sleep Apnea hookedonstitch 19 1,954 09-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.