Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Jaw drop and mouth puffs
Jaw drop and mouth puffs
Well it looks like I am most comfortable with nasal pillows but even after two different jaw straps and a dog toy tucked under my chin, my jaw still drops and air comes out of my mouth during sleep. I ordered a cap jaw strap to see if it will work.
I don't want to tape my mouth shut but I'm running out of ideas. Please, any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Jaw drop and mouth puffs
I was given a chin strap today from the sleep lab and on the back it says carefusion. I can't find a photo of this particular chin strap. I will try and take a photo of it and post it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2013, 07:14 PM)Lukie Wrote: Well it looks like I am most comfortable with nasal pillows but even after two different jaw straps and a dog toy tucked under my chin, my jaw still drops and air comes out of my mouth during sleep. I ordered a cap jaw strap to see if it will work.
I don't want to tape my mouth shut but I'm running out of ideas. Please, any suggestions?

I'm a mouth breather and had the same problem. All I can say is you **can** train yourself to keep your mouth closed. It took me about 6 weeks of constantly reminding myself to "close your mouth". Slowly I cut that out and my mouth also stayed closed overnight.
Worth a try. If it works it's a lot more comfortable than some strap.
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm getting along well with the SP-CHADJ chinstrap. They are different and what works for one person may not work for another. The first one I tried was absolutely terrible...
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2013, 11:02 PM)eviltim Wrote: I'm getting along well with the SP-CHADJ chinstrap. They are different and what works for one person may not work for another. The first one I tried was absolutely terrible...

does it say carefusion on the back of it? I looked at the photo and it looks a lot like the one I picked up today from the sleep lab.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, it says AG Industries. I would guess that design is pretty common. But it worked a lot better than the other two I tried which didn't have the velcro on the back...I'm an active sleeper, so the ones that just loop around your jaw didn't work for me. Even this one I manage to slip off very occasionally, but it's more like once every two weeks or so, so I'm happy with it.

Also, I put it on as loose as possible. It really doesn't need to be very tight, especially if you have a large head like I do (too bad I don't have a brain to match).
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem. I now use the PureSom Ruby adjustable chin strap. Works like a charm.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2013, 03:18 AM)MarkSchubart Wrote: I had the same problem. I now use the PureSom Ruby adjustable chin strap. Works like a charm.

Last night I used the Respironics strap and dog toy under chin trick. I must have been tired because I slept like the dead for 8 hours straight with fewer awakenings and a better AHI. The nasal pillows are definitely in!Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2013, 07:14 PM)Lukie Wrote: Well it looks like I am most comfortable with nasal pillows but even after two different jaw straps and a dog toy tucked under my chin, my jaw still drops and air comes out of my mouth during sleep. I ordered a cap jaw strap to see if it will work.

I have to use a chin strap all the time.
I am a great fan of the ResMed Chin Restraint. I always have 2 on hand so I can wash one and have a spare to use.
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2013, 05:44 AM)Lukie Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 03:18 AM)MarkSchubart Wrote: I had the same problem. I now use the PureSom Ruby adjustable chin strap. Works like a charm.

Last night I used the Respironics strap and dog toy under chin trick. I must have been tired because I slept like the dead for 8 hours straight with fewer awakenings and a better AHI. The nasal pillows are definitely in!Smile
Lukie, experiment with other things under your chin. The dog toy was my first idea, and it worked ok. I am now using some fluffy wash cloths rolled up like an enchilada and it works great. Something wider than the dog toy seems to stay put. Make it big enough that it gives gentle pressure on your chin. I hated chin straps...it's just more crap on your face to irritate you. Sometimes I pull the neck band of my Tshirt over the ends to keep in place.

Now with only the nose pillows, it feels so good to have my face uncovered. I can scratch my nose and it's easy to take on and off in the middle of the night.

Do I need to upload a picture of an enchilada for our Aussie friends? Only kidding!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 73 10 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 63 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 788 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 617 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 192 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 335 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,223 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.