Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Jaw drop and mouth puffs
RE: Jaw drop and mouth puffs
(12-06-2013, 11:09 AM)drgrimes Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 05:44 AM)Lukie Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 03:18 AM)MarkSchubart Wrote: I had the same problem. I now use the PureSom Ruby adjustable chin strap. Works like a charm.

Last night I used the Respironics strap and dog toy under chin trick. I must have been tired because I slept like the dead for 8 hours straight with fewer awakenings and a better AHI. The nasal pillows are definitely in!Smile
Lukie, experiment with other things under your chin. The dog toy was my first idea, and it worked ok. I am now using some fluffy wash cloths rolled up like an enchilada and it works great. Something wider than the dog toy seems to stay put. Make it big enough that it gives gentle pressure on your chin. I hated chin straps...it's just more crap on your face to irritate you. Sometimes I pull the neck band of my Tshirt over the ends to keep in place.

Now with only the nose pillows, it feels so good to have my face uncovered. I can scratch my nose and it's easy to take on and off in the middle of the night.

Do I need to upload a picture of an enchilada for our Aussie friends? Only kidding!

Actually I used a dog toy with an oblong shape that worked quite well along with a respironics chin strap. I had a better night last night. I think I will be good with the nasal pillows I use with the nano headgear . I can upload a selfie of it but I don't know how on this site.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lukie, Yes I think oblong is the key. I think one could add something to keep it in place if need be, like a small elastic strap. I experiment a lot trying to find the best solution. Every kind of chin strap I tried either slipped off, didn't keep my mouth closed, or generally drove me crazy.

This may sound a bit odd but my latest trial was a man's sock. I took another pair of socks that were folded inside each other and worked them into the center of the first empty sock, making a big bump in the center. I took the two loose empty end and put them under the neck band of my Tshirt. It was still there this morning. I suppose one could figure out a way to make the loose ends into a neck band. I slept 7.5 hours with an AHI of .4 last night.

Maybe someone should invent a tubular piece of foam that's inside a nice soft fabric sleeve....oh and fancier than socks.....and sell it for $29.95. OH, better yet, an inflatable ballon inside so it could be adjusted for perfect fit. That one would be $49.95. If any member does this and gets rich, I would like to have the $.95 per unit. Just kidding
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2013, 10:38 AM)drgrimes Wrote: Lukie, Yes I think oblong is the key. I think one could add something to keep it in place if need be, like a small elastic strap. I experiment a lot trying to find the best solution. Every kind of chin strap I tried either slipped off, didn't keep my mouth closed, or generally drove me crazy.

This may sound a bit odd but my latest trial was a man's sock. I took another pair of socks that were folded inside each other and worked them into the center of the first empty sock, making a big bump in the center. I took the two loose empty end and put them under the neck band of my Tshirt. It was still there this morning. I suppose one could figure out a way to make the loose ends into a neck band. I slept 7.5 hours with an AHI of .4 last night.

Maybe someone should invent a tubular piece of foam that's inside a nice soft fabric sleeve....oh and fancier than socks.....and sell it for $29.95. OH, better yet, an inflatable ballon inside so it could be adjusted for perfect fit. That one would be $49.95. If any member does this and gets rich, I would like to have the $.95 per unit. Just kidding

Well I had to fight with my dog to get the toy away from him. It is an oblong dachshund toy dog that squeaks. I had to wrap it up in a pillow case so Lukie wouldn't see it. I sleep on my side with a chin strap and this toy tucked under my chin. I'm sure the sleep lab will get a laugh out of this on Monday night but it does the trick. I switched back to the nano at 3 am because the pillows weren't doing as good a job. I have narrow passages and a deviated septum. So tonight we'll do nano, dog toy, and respironics chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think...hope that once you get the chin support/dog toy dialed in, you won't need a chin strap. Experiment with the diameter until it's big enough to keep your chin pushed shut.

I also have narrow passages and deviated septum. Considering surgery. I have started using the saline nasal flush. Never thought I would resort to such...it's disgusting, but if I do it 15-20 minutes before bedtime, it seems to open me up.

My experience with nasal pillows, is that they help inflate the nasal passages. The nasal mask puts pressure around the entire nose. The nano, made me feel more closed up. BUT use whatever works best.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2013, 12:35 PM)drgrimes Wrote: I think...hope that once you get the chin support/dog toy dialed in, you won't need a chin strap. Experiment with the diameter until it's big enough to keep your chin pushed shut.

I also have narrow passages and deviated septum. Considering surgery. I have started using the saline nasal flush. Never thought I would resort to such...it's disgusting, but if I do it 15-20 minutes before bedtime, it seems to open me up.

My experience with nasal pillows, is that they help inflate the nasal passages. The nasal mask puts pressure around the entire nose. The nano, made me feel more closed up. BUT use whatever works best.
I have a Neti pot and saline but I leak water for half an hour afterwards.
I use Flonase and Ayers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like we have several things in common. On the saline, I use the squeeze bottle. Maybe it forces the saline deeper than the netie pot? I stand over the bathroom sink, do it several times both directions, and let my head drain for a few minutes. Then I blow and saline one more time. I try to sniff in hard to pull more saline up into my sinuses. I never thought it would work but it does. I've decided to keep trying the saline while considering the surgery. So far i'm doing very well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 799 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.