Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Jetstar Airlines charged me $60 to take a Resmed CPAP onboard their plane
RE: Jetstar Airlines charged me $60 to take a Resmed CPAP onboard their plane
(05-24-2019, 08:42 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Does Australia not have some sort of legal protections for persons with disabilities like the Americans With Disabilities Act?

They might, but if you look at the quotes I posted from the Jetstar website you'll note that they are very specific. Assistive devices you are not using during the flight fly as checked baggage for free. And you aren't allowed to use CPAP (an electric assistive device) on Jestar, so you won't be using it. Plus, you are welcome to bring your CPAP as a carry on, they will just charge you for it - but carrying it on is optional, and all on you.

I like being able to bring on my CPAP as exempt - it's not in a case safe to check - but almost none of actually use them onboard, we just want them to be free from the damage, loss or theft that can occur from checking it. So I think most of us are using a loop hole really meant for assistive devices that are in use while on the plane, a loophole that Jetstar is trying to close because it is in the way of their charging ridiculous fees for tiny carry ons. They give discounts on tickets, but make up for it by nickel and diming you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Airline policy/procedure/terms of carriage can't override law or government regulation. That was why I asked. I would expect in the US such a policy would land the airline in court.

Use while onboard is not relevant to the need to carry onboard. Nor likely damage in checked bags. Baggage mis-routing and not having it on the other end are my primary concern. It is a legitimate grievance and more than enough reason to keep it with you at all times.

But there is a reason I will not fly - ever - on the garbage carriers that want to nickle and dime you for everything....
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2019, 07:13 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Airline policy/procedure/terms of carriage can't override law or government regulation.  That was why I asked.  I would expect in the US such a policy would land the airline in court.

Use while onboard is not relevant to the need to carry onboard.  Nor likely damage in checked bags.  Baggage mis-routing and not having it on the other end are my primary concern.  It is a legitimate grievance and more than enough reason to keep it with you at all times.

But there is a reason I will not fly - ever - on the garbage carriers that want to nickle and dime you for everything....

I’m on the same page here. Ever notice how at times the cheap ticket jumps above the formerly expensive ticket after added fees?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jetstar aren't known as the Orange Cancer for nothing.

Here's another example: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-25/d...t/11149632

They might be a subsidiary of Qantas who are (mostly) pretty good, but Jetstar have their own management and their own policies. I've heard too many horror stories about this airline that I won't consider flying with them anywhere. And as somebody mentioned above - the final cost you pay often ends up more than a "full service" carrier like Qantas.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 218 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 723 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,371 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Beefy CPAP battery setup that can be taken on a plane mitzvahtime 2 1,316 08-02-2023, 03:04 PM
Last Post: mitzvahtime
Question [CPAP] Resmed AS 11 CPAP Help DisgruntledNihilist 4 544 07-07-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: DisgruntledNihilist
  air leakshi, I write from Italy. I use a resmed airsense 10 cpap at pressure 13 and a papaste 3 657 02-02-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: burgess4321
  [Pressure] New to CPAP - Need help with pressure settings (ResMed 10 AutoSet) PressurisedPete 6 1,078 12-05-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: PressurisedPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.