Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Joey's Mother: CPAP to ASV Therapy Thread
RE: What could be causing prolonged periods of shallow breathing?
(11-23-2019, 12:55 PM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Not me, my mother.

2 minute segment like this? Tidal volume and minute vent drop significantly in the shallow breathing parts while resp rate stays the same. Don't know what that means.

Quick guess:  LEAKS

In the whole first chart and 23:36 to 23:45 my guess is LEAKS are causing:
  • TRUE/real reduced pressure contributing the to flow limitations showing in most of tops (Peaks) of the airflow waveforms
  • FALSE/not real reported reductions in the bottom expirational half of the waveform.  

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to the 2-minute segments requested by Bonjour, it could be helpful to see a few more full-night charts. I'm curious whether there's any relationship (direct or inverse) to possible REM, and whether the periods of shallow breathing always follow breathing that is deeper than average, with higher TV and MV.

For me, shallower breathing usually means I'm awake, but I gather that's not the case for your mother?
Post Reply Post Reply
Increased min pressure to 12 last night and that seems to significantly improved breathing

Summary
[Image: NT5v3Dm.jpg]
Normal waveforms
[Image: fGGQ2ZB.jpg]
[Image: uV6VfPy.jpg]
[Image: k5lth3a.jpg]
(Mild) shallow breathing
[Image: 7XlIiYx.jpg]
[Image: GeWvTQM.jpg]
Transition to wake events
[Image: OBzZ0Mv.jpg]
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2019, 12:55 PM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Not me, my mother.

2 minute segment like this? Tidal volume and minute vent drop significantly in the shallow breathing parts while resp rate stays the same. Don't know what that means.
[Image: dVAWPpT.jpg]
[Image: Mj5KRih.jpg]

This is an example of someone inhaling through a nasal mask and "puffing" or exhaling orally. That inhaled air did not just disappear, it was exhaled where the machine could not detect it, thus low tidal volume and minute vent.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So now the mystery is how your mother is managing to puff air out her mouth when she exhales even though she uses tape on her mouth. Any chance the tape partially loosens?
Post Reply Post Reply
Possibly. That night I'm not sure how secure the tape was.

This is her data from last night with mouth securely taped. She took off the mask in her sleep. She says she doesn't feel as good as she did yesterday, which isn't surprising... data doesn't look good and I don't know why

[Image: knlQykF.jpg]
[Image: XVwOGNc.jpg]
[Image: wQzDW8q.jpg][Image: WJnpnkZ.jpg][Image: rSNowFm.jpg][Image: ioy4Rcd.jpg][Image: fjKYFBv.jpg]
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are the data that concern you the periods of lower tidal volume and minute ventilation? I’m not competent to comment on what might be going on, but it could help those who are if you could tell us your mother’s height and weight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn’t sure what you were talking about because the flow rate at default size the rate would be 45 roughly on both sides and looks great. I just realized that the rate is so slow that the numbers on the chart are very small. I’m no expert but IMHO this is a question for a doctor to answer. If her epr is on 3 and is getting enough air from a decent pressure I’m not sure anyone in here can help. I could be wrong but if this was happening to me I would see a doctor ASAP. Unless of course there are pulmonary doctors among us. Personally I would prefer face to face rather than remotely diagnosed
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Could it be due to nasal congestion that comes and goes as mucous loosens or dislodges?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2019, 12:00 PM)LeonardoDR Wrote: Could it be due to nasal congestion that comes and goes as mucous loosens or dislodges?

Hi Leonardo, is the "it" the tidal volume and minute ventilation?  I'm trying to get a fix on your question.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,360 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,211 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.