Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Joey's Mother: CPAP to ASV Therapy Thread
Gross 
Joey's Mother: CPAP to ASV Therapy Thread
This is my mom's data, she has OSA... really good stats, very low AHI, FL, leak rate, etc. Only weird thing is these prolonged periods of shallow breathing on almost every night, occurring from once to up to five times a night.
Could it be caused by positional issues?

Settings are auto S9 min pressure 9, EPR 3
Once the shallow breathing ends, normal breathing reoccurs usually. I've cut off the preceding shallow breathing as it's too big.

9 minutes of shallow breathing
[Image: b8JdCTx.jpg]
11 minutes of shallow breathing
[Image: N11OO5B.jpg]
12 minutes of shallow breathing
[Image: 8cv3Gkk.jpg]
17 minutes of shallow breathing
[Image: k1tNQfo.jpg]
16 minutes of shallow breathing
[Image: 861H7R5.jpg]
15 minutes of shallow breathing
[Image: 5vnE58I.jpg]
13 minutes of shallow breathing
[Image: CfOeABk.jpg]
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What could be causing prolonged periods of shallow breathing?
I could be wrong but that could just be her deep sleep rhythm. The others will correct me if I’m wrong. This is a screenshot of my shallow breathing before I got my settings right. The experts in this forum will definitely be able to guide you in the right direction

[attachment=17215]
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
bump

Tried taping mouth, still occurring.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Need more information.

What's her age, general health, other complicating factors? Please post a full daily chart so we can see what else is going on during these periods - leaks, flow restriction etc. Her breathing is certainly shallow but also very rapid and some of the waveforms look somewhat strange to me. But let's see it all in context.
Post Reply Post Reply
.....complications factors....yes, ..... I think maybe it would important to know what medication she is on?
gl
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2019, 06:59 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Need more information.

What's her age, general health, other complicating factors? Please post a full daily chart so we can see what else is going on during these periods - leaks, flow restriction etc. Her breathing is certainly shallow but also very rapid and some of the waveforms look somewhat strange to me. But let's see it all in context.
50s, general health fine.
(11-23-2019, 08:01 AM)mper6794 Wrote: .....complications factors....yes, ..... I think maybe it would important to know what medication she is on?
gl
I was going to say... nothing that affects sleep but I remembered that she sometimes takes a low-dose benzodiazepine before bed.

I think the factors could be
1. medication (benzodiazepine)
2. too low EPAP (min pressure 9, EPR 3 = EPAP 6. with the shallow breathing, airway appears to gradually restrict more and more with each breath. she has significant flow limitation with EPR 1, haven't tested EPR 2)
3. positioning (usually sleeps on back... also might be chin tucking sometimes?)
4. mouth breathing (mouth taping seems to have improved breathing. she does sometimes drop mouth while sleeping, then inhales through nose and out through mouth)

This is the data from last night. Big gap in the middle is because she took mask off and turned machine off when sleeping subconsciously. She had her mouth taped but took it off when she woke up snoring and put the mask back on (second part of night).
Summary
[Image: 4sskTgl.jpg]
Events with mouth tape
[Image: umwdiTz.jpg]
[Image: ljCq6L8.jpg]
Events without mouth tape
[Image: c8smbvg.jpg][Image: x3Zuma8.jpg][Image: 82fEotT.jpg]
Shallow breathing with mouth tape
[Image: mVrSTYN.jpg]
[Image: PtH8uuv.jpg]
[Image: VVyWlGd.jpg][Image: UOA8Sdg.jpg][Image: G4b3yB5.jpg]
Shallow breathing without mouth tape
[Image: qctICuU.jpg]
[Image: vBGLLiF.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Normal waveforms with tape
[Image: 3Za3N1e.jpg]
[Image: 3EgP7hN.jpg]
Normal waveforms without tape
[Image: 8ZuoKHY.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
The flagged events are seriously not a concern.  Add minute Vent into your charts, and look at a period of time with reduced flow, 2 minute segments, (always include the overview of the reduced flow for context that you displayed here.  I would suggest increased pressure support, but with EPR=3 you are maxed out 

your numbers do not warrant getting a bilevel for apnea.  Thus you would need to justify it another way.  Is your sleep doctor a pulmonologist? It may be worthwhile seeing one and getting some help interpreting and resolving this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not me, my mother.

2 minute segment like this? Tidal volume and minute vent drop significantly in the shallow breathing parts while resp rate stays the same. Don't know what that means.
[Image: dVAWPpT.jpg]
[Image: Mj5KRih.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
That's 5 minutes, the idea is to really show the detail of the individual breaths during the reduced breathing. so modifying the y axis scale would also be helpful for this shot. The total duration for the night (you will have to manually add them) may have some interest.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 151 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 248 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,261 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,332 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,193 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.