Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Joys of home ownership
RE: Joys of home ownership
2 years ago found out we a leak in the evap coil of our AC. Paid for the coil and installation and they brought a replacement out. Vertical mount instead of horizontal. Plan became put the old one back in, put a sealant in the system and top it off. They would come back out in the fall and put a new one in and give us free service over the summer. Top off resulted in 10 lbs of freon in a system that held 13.5. No wonder it didn't freeze up - no freon to freeze.  BTW, our system is in the attack and you can't really work in it in 110+ heat. Swapped out the system and all works fine. Oh, and they put their foot through the ceiling in the closet where the access is. They picked up the tab for getting it fixed and repainted. 

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(09-23-2018, 10:14 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: Oh, and they put their foot through the ceiling in the closet where the access is...

Done that myself. Pain...

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Had my vacant lot cleared. Was able to do an end-run around the county "Scrub Jay" laws because the entire lot was overgrown with Brazilian Pepper trees.
[Image: Js3DJWf.jpg]

Here is the machine that ate the trees (he's not done yet):
[Image: plrVchD.jpg]

and if you're wondering why he would leave his expensive machine here overnight, if you take a look closely at the left side tread you'll see if almost spun off. The whatchya-ma-call-its on the tread jumped out of place. Sorry I don't know the nomenclature but the metal tabs that are sticking out of the treads are supposed to be on the other side of the metal wheels. No one with the equipment available to fix this until tomorrow. Guess the money he will get for this job will go right out his pocket to the company coming to fix it.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
I take it the county where you live has a dim view of what they consider to be overgrown property?  You must be glad for people like the fellow you hired to clear the land?  Years ago when we bought our home, it was overgrown because it had sat vacant for over a year.  It took us forever to get it to the point where we could mow and plant some flowers and a garden.  My sympathies to you on the clearing costs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I have in my yard, the perfect solution to Brazilian Pepper Trees...snow.  
It looks like you gave your lot a Brazilian.   Too-funny
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files

How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2018, 04:29 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I take it the county where you live has a dim view of what they consider to be overgrown property?  You must be glad for people like the fellow you hired to clear the land?  Years ago when we bought our home, it was overgrown because it had sat vacant for over a year.  It took us forever to get it to the point where we could mow and plant some flowers and a garden.  My sympathies to you on the clearing costs.

Funny thing is we have a county ordinance that says you have to maintain your property and grass over a 1 foot high over 50% of the mowable area will win you a fine of X dollars a day. I have seen fines at $100 per day. Although they don't enforce it for vacant lots since typically you can't mow those. Which is good because "scrub jay' laws prevent us from clearing the lot without jumping through hoops. This year they tacked on Gopher Tortoises and Indigo Snakes to the list of reasons you won't be able to clear your lot. If you have any of those three, good luck. It will take up to 4 years for them to come to a decision on whether they will grant you permission to clear your lot. Penalties for clearing your lot with any of those animals on it without the permits are a fine of $100,000 and/or 1 year in jail.  Oh-jeez

Otherwise if there are none of those 'endangered beasts', you have 2 choices if you want to clear your whole lot:
Pay Incidental Take Permit (ITP) and associated Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP) fees. Roughly $2500 for 1/4 acre.
Pay just the HCP fee. $2200 for a 1/4 acre.

The ITP fee, which is county, is optional but if you forgo that route you have to file the paperwork yourself and arrange for the inspection by the Fed. It can take 1 month to 1 year. If you pay the ITP fee, the county will do everything provided you certify in writing and notarized that none of those animals exist on your property, and it can take about a month.

Then you can clear it but only before March 1 or after June 30th. This is the nesting season for the Scrub Jay. And they recommend you plant Scrub Oak. I guess so you can attract Scrub Jays and ruin everyone else's chance to clear their property?

If you just want to clear some of it and providing none of the animals on the list are there, you are allowed to mulch exotics and undergrowth from the property without permits/fees but with an application and schematics and twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy Pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one showing existing non-exotic trees and providing you're not speculative clearing and a laundry list of other Dos and Don'ts.  That huge pepper tree in the middle was an accident. Whistle

(11-28-2018, 07:54 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have in my yard, the perfect solution to Brazilian Pepper Trees...snow.  
It looks like you gave your lot a Brazilian.   Too-funny

[rimshot]  Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2018, 10:24 AM)AlanE Wrote: .  .  .  schematics and twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy Pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each  .  .  .

I'm going to start calling you "Arlo".  Are you planning on putting a restaurant up on the lot? Eat-popcorn
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead and OSCAR
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Be careful or we will all end up on the Group W bench.  Too-funny

BTW, out here in AZ one of the things they can hit you for is buffle grass. It is highly flammable and it you look at it wrong, it will ignite. Non-native and was brought in as a soil stabilizer, but it took over everything. If there is dirt, it will grow.

Finally got rid of the stump of the tree that came down last August. Had a friend cut it up (still owe him and his wife dinner) and hired someone to grind it as it was half out of the ground. Did a good job cleaning it up and we have a small burial mound in the fron yar. Trying to figure out what to do with it once we can get some cash. Part of the front yard rerocking plan. 

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2018, 11:23 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I'm going to start calling you "Arlo".  Are you planning on putting a restaurant up on the lot?    Eat-popcorn
Big Grin

I've been getting in some workouts by raking the lot. Holy Moly there is a lot of debris.

[Image: TpDaWAI.jpg]

But the worst of it is the fricken invasive vines that have put down an extensive root network. If you have ever seen those movies where they are in the jungle swinging from vines, yeah those... except they are underground.

[Image: sF5ttOB.jpg]

in addition to the real long roots, they toss in these F'ers:
[Image: EGiKPCJ.jpg]

Best way I can describe these is a "node." where a feeler touched the ground and became a root and started growing out in different directions as well as down. These are all over the lot too. If you yank this out and leave just a little tiny piece of it, it will continue to grow. I think it's time for chemical warfare.

Here is another angle of it.
[Image: K62RtRa.jpg]

I should just bite the bank account and hire heavy equipment with landscape attachments.
[Image: 3.JPG]

or this
[Image: 5o7urV0.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
And I thought I was the only one on the “group W bench”.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vietnam MIA comes home to Texas justMongo 5 1,499 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  Home Automation AlanE 21 4,219 08-14-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.