Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry cough - caused by CPAP?
Dry cough - caused by CPAP?
Hi - I've been using my Philips Dreamstation APAP for almost 11 months now and am very happy with the results (much less daytime sleepiness).  But - the last couple months I can't seem to shake a middle of the night dry cough.  I live in Utah  (pretty dry) but use the humidifier on the machine all the time.   I don't have any cough during the day.    Any suggestions on what to do?    Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry cough - caused by CPAP?
May not be from CPAP. It is spring; so, it's allergy season.
Since you are in Utah, maybe the humidifier just isn't enough for low humidity room air.
You might give some though to a room humidifier.

Plus, do you by chance take a med known as an ACE inhibitor. Some people develop a dry cough when taking ACE inhibitors.
ACE inhibitors are primarily for high blood pressure.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2017, 10:54 AM)justMongo Wrote: "Plus, do you by chance take a med known as an ACE inhibitor.  Some people develop a dry cough when taking ACE inhibitors.
ACE inhibitors are primarily for high blood pressure."

Thanks for your response.  I don't take an ACE inhibitor, but trying to turn up the humidity setting on my machine sounds like a good idea.   I'll look into that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found that I will start coughing while using my CPAP when the humidity drops to 45% or below. I have to use the humidifier and a heated hose to avoid this.  As the humidity drops my coughing increases.  Anything above 45% and I can use the CPAP without any problems.  I've seen posts in the past where people that were raised or a long time resident from a more arid location will have the opposite effect.  It seems to be one of those "Go figure" things.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to keep the humidity up to combat dryness, but if it gets too high, I start coughing.

I also run a separate humidifier in my room, and use a hygrometer to measure the humidity.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Play with your humidity settings. If you still have that cough in a couple of weeks, make an appointment with your doctor OR if you have one of those Patient Portal things, send a note to your doc to find out if this is something that should be checked now or later. I usually see doc twice a year due to diabetes, so most things can wait until that appointment, but not everybody has a chronic condition.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Y no photos of mask-caused "sores" on the www? nelsonka 1 381 12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  High amount of central apnea caused by OSA? LiaASV 32 2,440 12-04-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Cervical collar caused more centrals? Xeros 4 1,089 10-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 989 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  What caused this? David Clark 8 740 05-27-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Can Clear Airway (CA) events be caused by coughing fits? Slides2023 0 485 01-23-2023, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Slides2023
  Cough while using pjhiett 1 551 01-21-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.