Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just Diagnosed - Starting Treatment
Just Diagnosed - Starting Treatment
I did a split sleep study on 8-4-16, and I just recieved the results today. 52 AHI, most of which were hyponeas while on my back.

Fortunately the sleep study was able to reduce the AHI to 13. My starting pressure was 5, then moved to 7, 9, and then 11. My new prescribed pressure range is 8-15.

I have an appointment to pick up an APAP, as perscribed by my doctor, tomorrow.

I have been reading this forum for the past month trying to get as prepared as I can. I think I am going to try to get a Resmed APAP. I wil make sure to check it against the recommended units on this site before accepting at my DME. I believe that I like the features of the Resmed the best, based on the forum posts that I have been seeing.

I had to use a full face mask at my sleep study, which they let me keep. I was not able to adjust to the nasal mask, I had to switch to the Quattro Air mask within about 30 seconds. Although in hindsight, they didn't give me any indication of what to expect with the mask, or how to breathe with it on. This was also before finding this forum.

I may try the dream wear mask with a chin strap. I like what I am hearing from some of the other forum posts.

Also, I know I need to get Sleepy Head setup. I will do this soon, so that I can post results to get feedback from this awesome forum.

A few questions that I have:
1. I had 77 hyponeas at one point. Is there anything different from obstructive apnea, as far as treatment is concerned?
2. Is my intended machine and mask choices good, or should I be considering something else initially? My DME has 30 day trial periods. Thankfully my insurance will cover 100%.
3. Would a new pillow or mattress assist? If so, does anyone have any specific recommendations?
4. During the study my oxygen desaturation only dropped to 85%. Is it worth investing in an oxygen monitor? I was eyeing a CMS 50F, based on previous forum posts here.
5. I have also been unofficially diagnosed with low testosterone. Is there any concern with treating Low T and sleep apnea at the same time?

Thank you in advance for this forum. You guys are awesome, based on all of the previous forum posts I have been reading.

I cannot say I am excited about sleeping with a mask, but I am ready to do, almost, whatever it takes to get better.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just Diagnosed - Starting Treatment
My recommendation for a pillow is the Papillow, or its Amazon knock off.

As to the rest of your questions, just wait and see how it goes with the therapy.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleepster. I will look into that pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum,SleepySleeps. Good luck with your treatment.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well we share the low T issue. I use T-cypionate injected weekly at 80 mg. While testosterone supplements can aggravate sleep apnea in untreated individuals, it should not have any affect on your CPAP treatment. Between treating obstructive apnea and normalizing your T levels, you should feel a significant improvement in energy, concentration and libido.

I have never used an oxygen monitor, and would suggest you defer that decision until you see how you feel after starting treatment. It's not likely necessary or useful unless you have problems getting good results. Give it some time with your new Autoset, and track your progress with Sleepyhead. I think you should do just fine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2016, 08:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well we share the low T issue. I use T-cypionate injected weekly at 80 mg. While testosterone supplements can aggravate sleep apnea in untreated individuals, it should not have any affect on your CPAP treatment. Between treating obstructive apnea and normalizing your T levels, you should feel a significant improvement in energy, concentration and libido.

I have never used an oxygen monitor, and would suggest you defer that decision until you see how you feel after starting treatment. It's not likely necessary or useful unless you have problems getting good results. Give it some time with your new Autoset, and track your progress with Sleepyhead. I think you should do just fine.

Sleeprider, while I am sorry that you have suffered. However, I am very encouraged to hear that my energy levels are likely to increase. Currently I am only making it to work 60% of the time. It has been this way for about a year and a half now. It will take me anywhere from 2-5 hours to get out of the house, on the days that I am even able to do so.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, if you decide to do injections instead of absorbent gels, I think after your first dose, you'll feel like you got shot out of a cannon. That subsides pretty quickly, but it can be pretty amazing. The gels for some reason did not work for me, and are stupid expensive compared to injection. I use an untraditional method instead of IM injections with that scary 1.5" needle. It is a 25 ga 5/8" needle in a small barrel syringe, and I self-administer pretty painlessly.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Well. You do know that Dreamwear mask is from Philips. To me I'd try to get the Dreamstation instead of Resmed if you like the Dreamwear or else you can get the P10 from Resmed for your Resmed machine. I know you can mismatch all the masks with the machines. Dreamwear has an X1 number you can input to the Dreamstation for pressure compensation or something like that. I myself have a Dreamstation but don't like the Dreamwear after I tried it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepySleeps,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck as you start your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2016, 08:50 PM)Apneaway Wrote: Well. You do know that Dreamwear mask is from Philips. To me I'd try to get the Dreamstation instead of Resmed if you like the Dreamwear or else you can get the P10 from Resmed for your Resmed machine. I know you can mismatch all the masks with the machines. Dreamwear has an X1 number you can input to the Dreamstation for pressure compensation or something like that. I myself have a Dreamstation but don't like the Dreamwear after I tried it.

Apneaway, thanks. I forgot about the feature that the machines have predefined settings for masks from their same company.

Hopefully I will not be too "annoying" tomorrow at the DME. I definitely want to try several masks. I also intend to take full advantage of the 30 day trial periods.

I was sick and tired, of being sick and tired about 6 months ago. I fully intend to "take control" of my healthcare management instead of leaving it to the half-dozen different doctors that I am seeing.

I will definitely look at the P10. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 15 263 3 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 233 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 270 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 177 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,629 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 562 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 271 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.