Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just How Deadly is Untreated Sleep Apnea really ?
Question 
Just How Deadly is Untreated Sleep Apnea really ?
Yes, I know. This is an issue that folks don't like to talk about but it is a reality of our condition.

Of course each person that has it is different. That's a given.

So, just how deadly is untreated sleep apnea ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just How Deadly is Untreated Sleep Apnea really ?
Very deadly. Just ask the victims in that bus crash awhile back, or the train accident. "Breaking news, single car accident kills family -- driver apparently fell asleep." That could have been my headline before I began treatment.

Oh, and then there's the heart thing, and the lungs thing, and the diabetes thing, and the gizzard thing, and the thing thing......... The list really gets pretty long.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2014, 01:45 PM)Labrat0116 Wrote: Of course each person that has it is different. That's a given.

p.s..... Just to be clear. I'm not different. I'm the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
Slightly less dangerous than Russian Roulette.

Everything that retired guy said plus kidneys, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
....and then too, if you're an ex-fbi chief you could be at risk of running into a mailbox.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/slee...sh-n194956
Post Reply Post Reply
And it can affect your brain..Retired_Guy would have told you that if only...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2014, 02:35 PM)retired_guy Wrote: ....and then too, if you're an ex-fbi chief you could be at risk of running into a mailbox.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/slee...sh-n194956

I hope that wasn't the same mailbox that Agent Larabee (or was that agent 44?) lived in (Get Smart T.V. character).

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0025506/
Post Reply Post Reply
In my case, untreated OSA almost killed me, and would have killed me had it continued untreated. People need to remember, CPAP is a 'treatment', not a cure. If I stop using my machine, I will surely die at a much younger age than if I continue to use it.

How important/deadly OSA is honestly comes down to each person, how high their untreated AHI is, and how it effects them.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Its only been a month and my life has changed dramatically. Huge increase in energy, wakefulness, well being and family life. Plus my wife loves the quietness at night lol. No more being scared driving highway 63 trying to stay awake. Now just to get my body healthy once again!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think there are really good numbers.

Quite a few apneacs go untested and undiagnosed. Apnea doesn't usually kill you directly, it increases your chances of heart attack and stroke. It also degrades your health in general, making you more likely to die of many other direct causes of death. There's also the effects of weight gain and high blood pressure related to untreated apnea.

Even if you are known to have apnea, the death certificate is probably going to indicate heart failure, stroke, or something else as the cause of death and apnea won't show up in the statistics anywhere.

It's like the apnea deniers who ask "what happened to people before they had CPAP?" The answer is "they died peacefully in their sleep."
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.