Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hello everyone
Hello everyone
Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a little over a year ago. My dad snores horribly, so I decided to try and get ahead of that problem by going to my doctor and getting a sleep study done and now here we are.

For the past year I've been using a CPAP machine. It works okay for me (especially after I switched to the nasal pillows), but I don't love it, and having to buy supplies for it constantly is a pain. My insurance and HRA through work pays for everything, but only if the medical supply place actually files with the insurance and charges me properly, which they have a tendency to mess up. I also have to take time off work to actually get my supplies, and then again to go deal with their billing mistakes.

So I've just switched over to a dental snore guard, obtained after much effort and insurance wrangling from my dentist. Like just yesterday -- I used it for the first time last night. It seemed to work, though I'm not sure I got much actual sleep as I'm still trying to adjust to wearing it. We'll see how it goes!

Anyway, I'm happy to find this place and look forward to reading about your experiences.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello everyone
Welcome to our band of brethren. Strange that you should have to pick up your own supplies. My DME has them delivered to my door.

For most of us, buying supplies is not that constant a thing. We find that a lot of supplies last much longer than the standard replacement period. Of course the DMEs would like to sell as many supplies as possible.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi aburns42,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you gave up on CPAP therapy. I would think your DME could have had your supplies delivered to you, they usually do that.

Good luck to you with your treatment, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If that store does that, they never mentioned it. The bigger issue was with the billing issues, though.

The dental snore guard seems to be working well so far. Slept through the night last night with no problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on your success with the dental guard. Besides the jaw pain that develops with some folks using those appliances the major downside I see is the inability to monitor your data and then make adjustments to your therapy as needed. While you say you slept through the night with "no problems" is there are a way to really know if you had any "problems" without seeing your data? Just food for thought. Continued success with your therapy and welcome aboard!
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome aboard..

Hopefully everything will progress well for you. Sleep-well

Cheers,
Ock. Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.