Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Experience and Some Questions
My Experience and Some Questions
Hi Guys!

So, this is officially my first post. Where to begin...

Every now and then, I would wake up gasping for air... Sometimes, I'll even wake up with my heart racing at what feels like 800bpm. My wife will wake me up, just to remind me to breathe and my response will be: "Leave me alone, I'm sleeping." Big Grin Every day I would feel like a zombie, tired and exhausted.
I never knew the implications of these symptoms. I never even know it WAS symptoms. Until, at a family gathering one day my brother-in-law mentioned he's going for a sleep study. After explaining his symptoms I thought, hey, let me Google that. After diagnosing myself as having 7/8 out of the first 10 symptoms that pops up, I realized I have to do something about it and visit a sleep clinic.

My first visit wasn't too bad.
I didn't sleep very well, but I've slept worse.

The second visit was better.
At first I was fitted with a nose mask. I decided to sit around for about 45 minutes to get used to it before trying to sleep. After 20 minutes of trying to fall asleep, I called the nurse. I felt like a balloon getting blown up and had to force all the air from my lungs every minute or so, just to 'deflate'. I have to mention, I have quite bad sinus problems as well as a deviated septum restricting air flow to only one nostril.
She swapped it for a full face. Much better!! It was something to get used to at first but I slept much better.

My results as follow: Before CPAP (1), During CPAP (2)

Baseline Oxygen Saturation: 91%, 90%
Minimum Oxygen Saturation: 53%, 82%
Desaturation Index: 80/Hour, 3/Hour
Apnea/Hypopnea Index: 78/Hour, 2/Hour
Snoring Percentage: 21%, 2%

This was eye opening!

Yesterday, two weeks after my second study, I was like a little boy on Christmas morning. Oh, I have to mention, the morning after the 2nd study, I woke up at 3am ready to take on the day. That whole day I felt like I could conquer the world! It was like upgrading from a small box TV to a 65" Ultra HD TV! Wonderful!
So, yesterday I left the DME with a huge smile on my face. I couldn't wait to go and sleep. Smile

With the following settings the DME set the machine, I went to bed last night:

PAP Mode: APAP
Pressure: Min 6 Max 14
EPR Level: 3

Results:
Sleep time: 6h:18m
Pressure: 4.02 (Min), 10.82 (Max), 9.28 (95%)
AHI: 0.00
Leak Rate: 0.00 (Min, 95%), 21.60 (Max, when I removed the mask to scratch my nose without pressing the power button)
Snore: 0.00 (Min, 95%), 0.38 (Max) (According to SH, it lasted 2,5min.)

I'll share all the stats as attachments once I have enough posts...

How is it possible to have such good results on the first night?

Also, how do you pause the A10? By pressing the power button it creates multiple sessions in SH. Taking the mask off, registers a leak. What's the right way to pause?

Thanks for all the great info!!

Lourens.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Experience and Some Questions
Lourens, great work adapting so quickly. I don't think that is unusual, but you're fortunate to be one of the people that need the CPAP and adapt to it easily. Results are outstanding and no need to worry about a leak to scratch your nose...no one is grading you. Stopping the therapy for any reason by pressing the power button or using the auto-start function and removing the mask does not create multiple sessions, however it will show up as a gap in the charts. In Sleepyhead, go to File/Preferences Import Tab and be sure that the box is checked for "Don't split summary days". This will ensure Sleepyhead keeps all portion of sessions in one day (default is noon to noon), in one session.

Welcome and good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the ability to adapt depends very much on your mindset and approach. I'm trying to be as positive as possible.
I consider my OCD levels quite high, hence the fact that I'm trying to have perfect results and good graphs. Thanks for the tip on the setting, I'll check it out.

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2016, 03:33 AM)Lourens1190 Wrote: Also, how do you pause the A10? By pressing the power button it creates multiple sessions in SH. Taking the mask off, registers a leak. What's the right way to pause?

They way you did it was the "right" way. You want your machine to record the truth so you can act on accurate information. The machine doesn't have a "pause" button for that reason, because how broken up your sleep is is also important to anyone analyzing your sessions to see how well you are doing.

I find the number of times I get up to urinate in a given night is important information that tells me a lot about my sleep quality, and also the length of my longest session during the night correlates strongly with how I feel the next day. I want to know that information, not hide it.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I hope I get to this point! Glad you are having success, and it helps to hear other's stories.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh yeah, that makes 100% sense.
I will then keep it as is, so I can track my awake moments. I have to say, even with the perfect readings, I was still tired as I 'paused' it 12 times (SH) to scratch. I will follow up on my progress...

Thanks for the tips and advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lourens1190,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Keep up the good work, you are off to a great start.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You can avoid registering a leak when you turn your machine off by hitting the stop button almost immediately after removing the mask. I do it this way because I found that when I hit the stop button with the mask on the machine registered an obstructive apnea or hypopnea which messed up my data averages.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 76 1 hour ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 298 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 2 327 01-01-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 441 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 523 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,542 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.