Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks return!
Leaks return!
I have often had problems with leaks. I thought I had solved the problem back in October when I began carefully shaving and washing my face and mask every night before bed. Leaks went down close to zero and I felt very rested. Beginning in March the leaks have come back big time and the "large leaks" are typically more than 25% of the time. I tried  new mask, with no improvement. I didn't change anything, so I'm really puzzled at the dramatic increase in leaks. I'm attaching two screen shots, one from January when things were good, and one from recently when it's bad. My doctor can't see my until August 30. But he has never been helpful with mask leak problems. By the way, I change out the cushions on a regular basis, so that's not the issue. Any thoughts on what my be causing this change, and what I can do about it?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks return!
With this ASV, leak rates have not been good for either older or newer chart. I myself found that the ASV needs it consistently below 10. I would suggest a review and research on the mask you're using, and also noting what has and hasn't been replaced on the mask. Cushions may be needing changed, maybe the mask install method, the adjusting method, something. Maybe even a different model mask.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
PS it could also be your pressure set. It appears you have a wide EPAP range and only a 3-8.8 PS. The seemingly high EPAP can be doing the leak frequency issue too. What pressures are you running?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check your headgear straps for correct tension. Mine tend to loosen up over time. I tighten them back up, and no leaks.  Cool

Myself, I do prefer them to be a bit on the tight side. YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
The EPAP is set at 8 and the mx pressure is 12. Not sure what you mean by a wide EPAP range. In the older picture, my leak rate may have been too high, but the therapy was working and I felt good. Now I don't feel so good. The headgear is new and the cushion is new. Should I reduce the max pressure to see if that helps?
Post Reply Post Reply
A wide range means a pressure that spans a high difference between low and high.

I wouldn't suggest edits to the pressure to eliminate leaks. That's backwards to me. You fix the leaks directly by working on the mask, the fit, the cushion sizing, adjusting, and even to a different mask model if needed. To reduce pressures will very likely reduce therapy. To me edits to pressure over directly addressing leaks is similar to "I won't drive over 35 because my tire leaks air".

I found for myself leaks higher than about 10 and the ASV was working harder to keep up. Maybe with you, you can get away with higher levels of leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
P.S.: my math tells me your EPAP is from 4.4-15. 23.8 Max IPAP minus Max PS 8.8 equal Max EPAP 15. So the EPAP is 4.4-15 and that's the wide range.

Now with this, yes a pressure edit may want to be considered. What I'd do is subtract 3 from Max EPAP and add 3 to Max PS. This gives 4.4-12 EPAP and 3-12.8 PS.

Why consider a change? EPAP is fairly constant. It blows in that range always. PS is added a bit from the lower half of the range for inhales until a Central happens then higher PS comes in. But this higher PS is infrequent compared to the EPAP. Less change of leaks on high pressure.

Bottom line is it's your therapy. You do what you feel is best for you. Your Centrals may be different to handle them mine. My CA preferred a shorter EPAP range than PS. And by that configuration my leaks were less at Max of 10. Yes my mask is different also. My F&P VITERA is the best I've got for mask leak control and comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 115 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 440 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 337 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 138 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 555 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 890 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 373 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.