Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just arrived at hotel. 1 week old philips dream station go machine dead!
Angry 
Just arrived at hotel. 1 week old philips dream station go machine dead!
Hi all

I travel a lot for work and recently got a new job with even more planes and hotels!

I was diagnosed with severe apnea and the machine has changed my life (and my wife’s too).

After five years of taking my Resmed autoset everywhere with me (at least 30 countries in three continents) I thought I would “upgrade”.  Health insurance covered the Resmed and I spent almost 1000 Euros on a Philips Dreamstation Go APAP machine.

I’ve been using it at home for the past week and have been impressed.  

I got to my hotel room in London this evening and after checking out the power socket locations (which is now the first thing I do wherever I might be sleeping), I plugged it in and nothing!  No led. No noise.  Nothing. I tried other plug sockets. I confirmed the sockets with my phone charger.  

I went out and raced to an electronics store to get a replacement power cable -got there as it was closing!

Back to the hotel and still no joy.

I’m faced with the prospect of my first night without a machine in five years.  

I’m speaking at an event tomorrow in front of a bunch of people.  

Wish me luck. 

I’ll be back home late tomorrow night so this will only be one night without a machine but I’m not looking forward to it!

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just arrived at hotel. 1 week old philips dream station go machine dead!
This is a dismaying problem for sure.  I'm sure you've scratched your head and tried to think of every possible thing you might be missing.  I thought these were dual voltage, like computers' power supplies are.  How could they not be?!  

I was wondering if the socket were defective, but you got your phone to charge in that one?  I doubt the adapter is defective, but it might be worth verifying.  There's no switch on the machine, or on the back of the power supply?  Does the literature assert that the machine can be used internationally?

Would the supplier authorize a rental or replacement while you're away?
Post Reply Post Reply
I do wish you luck with your speech tomorrow. The one night missing treatment hopefully will not be too detrimental.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll be surprised, that may be a fixable fault, I think it is not enough inside the mains plug in the dreamstation, press it hard and test.

Yyou can also try without the adapter to the English connection, it is very easy, with its European cable prepared and without adapter use the plug of the tea water heater inserting itself and tilting the ground plug, at that time you open the hatches of the L and N, sprinkle to insert the plugs of the rest of Europe.

When I travel to the UK I don't take an adapter anymore, I use this trick that works very well

Suerte amigo

Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE:

Well, as suspected, I slept terribly last night and was awake probably every 10-20mins and consequently, I feel absolutely terrible this morning. However, I did make it through the night :-)

I now remember clearly what it was like before I had the machine! The feeling of being "on the edge" through tiredness.

I will return the Philips Dreamstation Go, mask and all accessories. I've totally lost trust with them and will buy a small Resmed for travel.  I'm sure they're great for others, but I cannot have this happen again...

Anyway - I'm fairly new to this forum and plan to look more into the reviews and also my stats (SleepyHead) to understand what tweaks I can make.
Post Reply Post Reply
That stinks! Glad you survived it, tho.
Post Reply Post Reply
Too bad. I was really hoping you would feel better than you did.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2018, 02:01 AM)qwawawawa Wrote: UPDATE:

Well, as suspected, I slept terribly last night and was awake probably every 10-20mins and consequently, I feel absolutely terrible this morning. However, I did make it through the night :-)

I now remember clearly what it was like before I had the machine! The feeling of being "on the edge" through tiredness.

I will return the Philips Dreamstation Go, mask and all accessories. I've totally lost trust with them and will buy a small Resmed for travel.  I'm sure they're great for others, but I cannot have this happen again...

Anyway - I'm fairly new to this forum and plan to look more into the reviews and also my stats (SleepyHead) to understand what tweaks I can make.

You know, I've been on APAP for 8 years now, and I find that I can't even consider sleeping without my machine.  Power failures are a nightmare.  Luckily, I've always had a UPS or generator to hook up to, but things like "it's just one night, not going to bother starting the generator..."  or "can't be bothered moving to plug into the UPS..." always end up with me doing it anyhow.  Trying to sleep without it always ends up with me waking myself up the first time I snore.

It's funny, because pre-treatment, I would have told you I don't snore. :-p
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunatly, while traveling, a backup machine isn't usually an option. Travelling with these smaller machines is a great option. I am not convinced that the technology is proven enough to be reliable. I don't think I would consider using my Z1 as my go to machine in any circumstance, even if it was whisper quiet.
To the point, I think anyone should consider having a machine for the use in the unfortunate event of equipment failure. Even if it is not the machine of their choice, an old and similar machine can get some through a rough time. I believe something is better than nothing. If one can prevent a few apnea from happening for just a couple of hours of sleep, its better than a full night of totally untreated apnea of any type. Fortunatley, I see older machines on various online market places starting at just 50 bucks sometimes. Even if the machine doesn't record data or have a heated hose or look nice on the bed stand, it can still just get you through a night or two.

Just for example, there is a Philips Respironics Auto BiPAP S/T for sale on a classifieds like website for sale right now for $450.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if I'm allowed to post this, so sorry if it gets struck, but if you google "mercari", I've seen some interesting things there.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 40 3,205 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,862 7 hours ago
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 316 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 181 28,809 03-10-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 460 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 179 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 207 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.