Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just bought a new Resmed airsense 10,autostart, when removing mask keeps free flowing
Just bought a new Resmed airsense 10,autostart, when removing mask keeps free flowing
I do not know why it keeps free flowing. The smart start is on,EPR 3 and it should shut off after a few seconds automatically when mask removed. If I turn it to  EPR 2 it will shut off. I wonder if this is common on a new machine or wait a little while while it gets worn in and try it later. If I use EPR 3 I have to use the top button to shut it off when mask removed. It did shut off once on EPR 3 automatically but not consistently. Also there is a menu above smartstart called Pressure relief on or off for the EPR and I think that is a new software add on this model (I don't think my old 2015 A10,autostart model had that option). Any ideas out there what is going on or similar issues?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just bought a new Resmed airsense 10,autostart, when removing mask keeps free flowing
I'm not trying to be arguable but why use that feature.  Push the button and put on the mask, take off the mask and push the button...  That is what I do, never even thought about using smart start.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just bought a new Resmed airsense 10,autostart, when removing mask keeps free flowing
I have had this CPAP for a couple of years, and just recently found out about the auto start option.  If you haven't tried it you should.  Nice to not have to reach to the machine to turn it on.  For years I have reached to the button multiple times to turn the flow on, because it didn't start the first time.  Just my personal opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just did a search on smart start. It had postings where the machine will not turn off with pillows because there is still some pressure, it has to be less than .7 to stop and the pillows cause more pressure than that.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Prior to detaching the hose from my mask when I have to go to the restroom at night, I reach over and tap the on/off button.

That stops any air flow immediately. If I don't do that and detach the air hose, the air flows continues for a few seconds before it shuts off and ends up waking my wife. 

It works well when I reattach the hose to my mask, as the air flow starts almost immediately.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2020, 04:47 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I just did a search on smart start.  It had postings where the machine will not turn off with pillows because there is still some pressure, it has to be less than .7 to stop and the pillows cause more pressure than that.

The newer machines must be set up differently than the 2015 A10,autoset. I think you have something there with the pillows. I will try some more experimenting and will get back.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been testing and reading a little, it seems folks with the pillow p10 mask have similar issues according to another person who did some digging up on the subject . It sounds like the air is restricted a little more so the machine thinks it is still attached to the person possible. So did a little experiment with it on EPR 3 setting and dawned the mask with Smart start on and let it build up pressure and removed the mask with it free flowing and removed the nose cushion and sure enough it shut off. So on EPR 3 it must change the back pressure enough just to confuse the software algorithems  possibly thinking its just a serious leak.

Thanks you all for your contributions on this matter.
Post Reply Post Reply
What size nasal pillows are you using. A large will always shut down, a medium usually will, and a small rarely.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2020, 04:29 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I'm not trying to be arguable but why use that feature.  Push the button and put on the mask, take off the mask and push the button...  That is what I do, never even thought about using smart start.

I have a Dreamstation, and I use the auto-on and auto-off features for several reasons..

1. My machine is under the side of the bed to keep it lower than my head, our bedside cabinet is small and to high to sit the machine on.

2. Auto-on doesn't switch the light on, so doesn't disturb my wife if she is already asleep.

3. Auto-off runs the machine for about 30 seconds after I take the mask off, which helps dry any condensation inside the mask from my breathing.

4. When away in the campervan the Dreamstation is in one of the storage areas under the seat / bed where I can't reach to turn it on or off.

For me the auto on/off feature is a great option for CPAP users.  Cool
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a large size pillow, I was playing around with the unit yesterday and while it was free flowing I removed just the larger cushion and it stopped flowing.
So then I did another 3 tests with the mask on and removed it and the machine shut off every time so I,m thinking it might be alright now.
This morning when I got up and removed the mask the A10,autoset did what it was suppose to do and shut off.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,714 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,593 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,760 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.