Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just diagnosed but headed back for 2nd study. Advice?
RE: Just diagnosed but headed back for 2nd study. Advice?
With insurance I would expect that you will be issued a bilevel, which at DME prices will consume most of the deductible. You need to develop a strategy with your doctor that ensures any additional studies and potential move to ASV can occur within the same calendar year to avoid another deductible event in 2018 for an even more expensive machine. DME prices on the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV will be in the $5-6K range. I know of a unit sold last week for $600 used. Dont-know
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While on my quest for knowledge I have been reading about bilevel machines that offer a "backup rate" or bpm settings. I see that Resmed offers one.

Assuming that my insurance is going to make me go with a bipap machine first, would getting a machine that offers a back up rate be of benefit to me since I'm showing central apneas?

Happy New Year everyone. Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can find a deal on either a Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt or Airsense 10 ASV, that would be a final device for resolving central and mixed apnea and hypopnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have gotten the results from my full night titration and my prescription.

Here is the 2nd sleep study: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjcw8nkwdbto2o...study2.pdf

My prescription is for 24/20. I'm pretty disappointed with the study. They only had me at that pressure for 20 minutes. During my split, it looked like 17/13 was a good pressure but I was only there for 15 minutes (link to that sleep study is on the previous page).

The ASV is a no-go from the DR until bi-pap fails. My Dreamstation Bipap Auto should arrive today and I will be keeping my eye open for a decent deal on an ASV as I go.

Any thoughts on where I should start with my machine? I'm not very convinced by the study.
Post Reply Post Reply
I certainly think you start with the prescription. That is very high pressure indeed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Alright I'll start with the prescription. I am setting up the machine myself since I bought it outside of the DME world. I've read through the provider guide and here is what I'm thinking... please let me know if I've made a misstep or left something out:

Therapy Settings:
- Mode: Bi-Level
- IPAP: 24
- EPAP: 20

Comfort:
- Humidification: Adaptive (adjust as necessary as I go)
(Question: With adaptive set, do I need to set a tube/humidifer setting or will it take care of that for me?)
- Smart Ramp: On
- Ramp Time: 15 mins

There are a few simple things I'll have to work out like Rise Time and mask type but based on what I'm reading and my prescription I think that is about it. Does this all sounds about right?

Thanks in advance Sleeprider, you've been a big help to me. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm setting things up as described above and playing around with the settings. I really am having trouble exhaling against the 20. I don't know what to do about that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Won't let me delete... Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a Dreamstation auto, so maybe use the auto function to your advantage to keep pressures a bit lower. I would prefer that you use the prescription settings, but that does not take into account the fact your machine can automatically adjusts, and we don't know what the clinician was looking at in the final titration. On a BiPAP auto, your prescriptions is basically S-mode with fixed IPAP/EPAP 24/20.

If titration says a minimum PS of 4 is good, then let's roll with that. If you set the mode to BAuto and PSmin to 4, and PSmax to 6, then a EPAPmin of 18 and IPAPmax of 24 should be about right in auto mode. Unfortunately, OA control is all about the EPAPmin setting. One thing I found useful on the PRS1 BiPAP auto was increasing TiMax to 2.2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm really having a hard time with these high pressures. I've yet to get any reliable data because I have to take my mask off because my lungs just feel warn out. My lung function is normal and healthy otherwise.

Is there any harm in doing an "auto titration" on my own and can you offer any settings on how to start? If it turns out I have to deal with this high of pressure, it is what it is.

I guess I'm jus hoping things like sleep position (I'm a side and stomach sleeper) will change my pressure needs. Since OA isn't really my issue, id think that a lower pressure would be better for my CA. Then it is just hypopneas I'm dealing with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 15 261 22 minutes ago
Last Post: iamJB
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 319 2 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 228 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.