Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just diagnosed -- need to select a CPAP
Just diagnosed -- need to select a CPAP
Hi folks, a newbie here -- I had a sleep study done last week and was told I have OSA. The report hasn't been completed yet, so I don't have any details at this time, but I've been obsessively reading posts here and elsewhere in advance of a meeting next week with my primary care physician, at which time i expect him to prescribe a CPAP. Lots and lots of incredibly helpful posts here, for which I am very grateful.

My main question at this time is what machine I should attempt to get my doctor to specifically prescribe for me (I'm on Medicare and have supplemental insurance that will cover the 20% of cost that Medicare doesn't cover).I understand that the more specific the prescription (right down to model number and desired optional items), the better my chances of getting a late model, sophisticated machine rather than a low-end unsophisticated machine.

From what I've read, the two machines that I think will be best for me (admittedly without having the sleep study details available yet) are the (1) ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset, and (2) Fisher Paykel Icon Plus Auto. Both seem to get excellent reviews here.

I'd be grateful for any advice, suggestions and/or comments anyone may have.

Thanks,
AndyB
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just diagnosed -- need to select a CPAP
Welcome

I'm biased. I like the A10. I can't speak about the Fisher. I assume either one should be good. Chief complaint about the A10 is the inhale noise. It doesn't bother me though.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Depends on your purchasing options.

Either way on Resmed Airsense auto or or the Philips Resprionics DS560. Both are quite popular and have lots of support.

Lean towards the PR if you do camping or need battery power, more options. If money is an issue even an S9 Autoset is a very good machine. The S9 uses less power than the Airsens models but the PR is still a better option for battery use.

The Icon plus would be down the list as a third place option.

[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi AndyB,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Check out the following link: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices .
This is really a good guide on which machines to buy and which ones to avoid.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the club!
Ditto on krelvin's comment. I love my A10, but it is a 24V system, which can be a pain when on battery power.

Also if you had a diagnosis only study, then your titration study is yet to come. You can see if the DME you go to will give you a trial or loaner machine for you to get used to being a hosehead. Results are more accurate if you can sleep through the night and not freaked out by all the mask, hose and pressure things happening to you. Not to mention the electrodes again.

Regardless, you can always wander in to a DME and start to look at masks (I can hear R-G shouting P10 in the background) before you get the results.
Might as well download Sleepyhead and start to understand it too.

In the meantime, sleep on your side and/or raise the head of your bed a bit. You are in this for the long haul. No need to rush into purchase decisions though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Double edged sword when asking for a script for a specific model machine: in a few years it will be considered "obsolete" (meaning the manufacturer has put out a new machine he can charge more for, maybe with a few new bells & whistles). If you need a new one, then you will be SOL and will have to go back and get a new script from the doctor.

I think it MUCH better to just specify features in the script like auto PAP appliance with full efficacy data reporting features, in addition to basic compliance reporting, active humidification system, tubes, masks (to patient's comfort and treatment necessity), cushions, chin strap, filters and other supplies. Along with his pressure setting direction.

You don't have to take what a DME throws at you just because the script wasn't specific enough to spell out exactly what you need. If it's a turd, just say so and insist on the model you want. That approach gives you maximum flexibility even though it may require "negotiating" with the DME - but remember in that negotiation, you hold all the aces and wild cards too. They don't get paid if they don't deliver a machine to you that you will accept. And there's always the trump card to take your business down the road.

It can be intimidating, but you an just tell them you want the "Vapooware Turbo Auto Titratero machine with the heated hose option" if that is what you will use. And when they pull out the Fartronic Base Blowerator 7 Brick, just say "that ain't the Vapooware Turbo Auto Titratero with the hot hose. How long will it take to get that one in? Really? That long? Or you can't get i through "your supplier"? Thanks for your time.

OMMOHY

OMMOHY

Post Reply Post Reply
Great suggestions everyone -- thank you very much. This forum is incredibly helpful.

And, I think I will pass on the Fartronic Blowerator . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
PR 560 auto with heated hose.

Battery friendly, longest warranty, wife and i have one each. My 2 cents
Post Reply Post Reply
When you get your Rx, keep the original and send the DME a copy. Also, if possible, have the doctor write "Lifetime" or "99 months" on it. You might want to deal with another DME, get a second machine, or get another machine if yours breaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 313 1 hour ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,805 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 408 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.