Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just diagnosed today
RE: Just diagnosed today
Did you try the machine last night? Let us know how it went.

As you adapt to the new experience, you might want to try using the machine for a while during the day, set up somewhere outside your bedroom where you can do something distracting, like read or watch TV. This can help to accelerate your mind's acceptance of the experience as a normal one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2020, 10:02 AM)Dormeo Wrote: Did you try the machine last night?  Let us know how it went.

As you adapt to the new experience, you might want to try using the machine for a while during the day, set up somewhere outside your bedroom where you can do something distracting, like read or watch TV.  This can help to accelerate your mind's acceptance of the experience as a normal one.

I haven’t received it yet, just placed the order. I opted for expedited shipping so I’m hoping I’ll have it by Wednesday. I just had a delivery of some supplies (I have cats so I ordered a cheap pack of 60 filters so I can keep them changed frequently) and should be getting all of the individual components to assemble my dreamwear mask today. 

I definitely plan on trying it out while watching tv or reading. That’s a great idea!
Post Reply Post Reply
Best wishes on your very near future success with CPAP. Hope the machine color is acceptable, despite not being able to see it while sleeping.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lol!!! That is a good point. I just like things to match. It really really isn’t a big deal what the machine looks like. If I want to personalize it, I can always slap on a sticker with my cats face on it...
Post Reply Post Reply
I see that you've now added a 4 to 20 pressure range to your profile. I would suggest raising the minimum from 4 to 6, because most people find that 4 leaves them somewhat air-starved. To find the menu where you can do this, hold down the home button and the big round button at the same time for a few seconds.

You will also be choosing a humidity setting. What will feel best for you only you can determine, but you might start out with 3 to see how you like that.

Check to see whether there's an SD card in your bundle of stuff (the slot is on the left side of the machine). If there isn't, I would warmly suggest you get one, along with an SD card reader if your laptop or desktop doesn't have one. The reason is that then you can use the free Oscar software, linked at the top of the page, to get incredibly useful displays of your data throughout the night. You can also then post screenshots here so that the experts can give you advice about fine-tuning your settings.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2020, 11:57 AM)Dormeo Wrote: I see that you've now added a 4 to 20 pressure range to your profile.  I would suggest raising the minimum from 4 to 6, because most people find that 4 leaves them somewhat air-starved.  To find the menu where you can do this, hold down the home button and the big round button at the same time for a few seconds.

You will also be choosing a humidity setting.  What will feel best for you only you can determine, but you might start out with 3 to see how you like that.

Check to see whether there's an SD card in your bundle of stuff (the slot is on the left side of the machine).  If there isn't, I would warmly suggest you get one, along with an SD card reader if your laptop or desktop doesn't have one.  The reason is that then you can use the free Oscar software, linked at the top of the page, to get incredibly useful displays of your data throughout the night.  You can also then post screenshots here so that the experts can give you advice about fine-tuning your settings.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the detailed advice!! That is the pressure range on my Rx, but from reading here I have learned that I'll adjust it as I go. I actually have an SD card reader in my shopping cart right now and am going to get Oscar installed on my laptop so I'm ready. If my machine doesn't come with the SD card, I've got a brand new one ready to go.

Seriously...you guys are so helpful! It almost feels like I'm getting new toys rather than a medical device lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW on the SD card, hoping to save you buyer remorse or similar, Standard SD or SDHC are OK and between 2-32 GB capacity size. Shop by price from there, brand matters little other than possible quality differences. The machine will format it when installed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board and good luck with the CPAP treatment. As you probably read here, for some people its super easy to get used to it and they get a full night of sleep with it from night one. For others it can take a longer time until they find the right combination or mask/pillow and until they get comfortable. So dont get frustrated if you don't get results right away and if you cant sleep with the mask through the whole mask right away.

Try using the mask during the day to get used to it and to see what you like and what you dont like about it. Then you get try to find other masks which might fit you better. The masks which you are getting are great! I have also the n30i and the whole dreawear set.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve been anxiously stalking UPS and finally (the horror of waiting two whole days for something!!) my shiny new machine is a mere 12ish hours from being delivered. 

I have tried on my dreamwear with both the pillows and the cradle and find both comfy. I actually almost fell asleep while testing how it felt on my pillow. It’s going to be a different game with air blowing through it but at least I know the mask doesn’t bother me. 

Tonight is my last night without CPAP!
Post Reply Post Reply
So last night I felt like I didn't sleep well, very light and kept waking up aware that I had a mask on my face. It wasn't too bad though. I was awake for a while around 3:30 but ended up going back to sleep. At that time I was wondering if the machine was even on and working because I had never noticed it increasing the pressure at all. I felt like I wasn't quite getting enough air at that time, though while just sitting watching tv, 4 felt ok. I tried it for about 10 minutes when I first plugged it in and was initially shocked at trying to breathe against the pressure, but that was maybe 2 breaths. I didn't even notice it the rest of the night.

I think I need to decrease the ramp time or turn it off completely, and increase my minimum pressure a little (as has been suggested, but I did want to just try it on full auto settings one night). It looks to me like the machine did exactly what it was supposed to last night though. I was surprised to see that the pressure had increased "so much" since I never noticed it. 

I did find myself sleeping on my stomach for a little while, which I don't normally do. That position I'm sure decreases the number of events I have, but makes my back hurt so that's not a habit I want to get into!

I haven't yet gone into the clinical menu but will probably do that tonight to make some adjustments. I used the n30i last night and might try the dreamwear tonight and see which one feels better. 

So here is my first night of Oscar data. I hope I followed the instructions correctly!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 388 6 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 386 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 817 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 479 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,807 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.