Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just diagnosed today
RE: Just diagnosed today
Looks a great night I suggest you raise min pressure to 7 leave ramp as is only to give you confidence over the next couple of nights. If you think at any time there is no pressure lift the edge of the mask its amazing what you can get used to
Post Reply Post Reply
Outstanding! On your very first night, you used the machine for 9+ hours, slept with all the gear, had no major leaks, and sometimes didn't even notice the pressure increases. Plus your AHI is great! I predict you will adapt fully without bumps in the road.

Yes, do raise your minimum pressure to 6 for now, probably with a bit more of an increase lying in the future. And go ahead and turn off the ramp. Try just those changes and let's see what happens.

Your screenshot is great. If you wanted to fiddle a little, you could customize the Y axis on flow rate (maybe -65 to +65) and leaks (maybe 0 to 30). To do this, right-click on the graph label to the left of the graph and select Y axis. Then select Override and enter the values you want.

I agree that it's good to try both the masks you have. I'm really glad the first one seems unproblematic, and I hope the second one will be at least as comfortable for you.

Just think, you'll never have to have another first night with CPAP again. Keep us posted!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just saw jaswilliams's post. So now you have choices: minimum at 6 or 7, and ramp on for a few more nights, or ramp off now. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way; it's just what will make the process easiest for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I'm the contrarian. You will need a minimum pressure of 8.0 and EPR 3 and Autoset Standard mode to help resolve some flow limits. You did a lot right in getting started, and got some very good advise, but your therapy needs is not one that calls for lower pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow thank you all for the advice!

I honestly had no idea what I was looking at when it comes to flow limitations. I did a little searching and if I understand correctly, that’s when my airway starts to collapse but not enough for a complete apnea or hypopnea. So increasing minimum pressure will help prevent flow limitations from occurring. 

There is so much to learn!!
Post Reply Post Reply
To give you an idea of the pressures involved. 1 psi = 70 cm of water (cmw). A CPAP can go as high as 20 cmw, less than 1/3 of 1 PSI, and that, 20 cmw, is considered to be 'high' pressure.
Start with the min pressure =8 and EPR = 3 that Sleeprider suggested.

Stick with us and we will get you there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2020, 09:42 PM)bonjour Wrote: To give you an idea of the pressures involved. 1 psi = 70 cm of water (cmw). A CPAP can go as high as 20 cmw, less than 1/3 of 1 PSI, and that, 20 cmw, is considered to be 'high' pressure.
Start with the min pressure =8 and EPR = 3 that Sleeprider suggested.

Stick with us and we will get you there.

Well that's ridiculously interesting. I didn't know the conversion between the CPAP pressure and PSI, something I more readily understand. As a scuba diver, I'm good with PSI, at least as it pertains to scuba. It really helps to understand that there's no reason to fear the higher pressures. I'm disappointed that I never thought to look that up myself, haha. I'm a nerd and when I get interested in something I like to learn all there is to know. I'm interested in improving my health and sleep quality, so let's go! 

I'm about to dive into the clinical manual and make the adjustments as recommended.
Post Reply Post Reply
As your know your SCUBA regulator maintains pressure that exceeds your atmospheric pressure or actually water pressure, which increases as you descend and decreases as you ascend. If not for the increase in pressure compared to the surface your lungs would be unable to expand, even a few feet underwater. The CPAP pressure is in cm-H2O and is a differential pressure to atmosphere. The CPAP is able to adjust that relative differential pressure between sea-level and 8000 feet MSL but I think the actual range is greater. So the CPAP pressure is low (fractions of a psi) and is relatively high compared to atmospheric pressure which allows for easier breathing and expansion of airway tissues. If you .have used SCUBA, the CPAP and mask will seem very intuitive.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW a home variant of the NIV/ventilator such as ResMed's Astral 150 can produce a maximum of 50 cmH2O. That 50cm/w is 0.711167 PSI. Your CPAP class deals with about half that.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're in good hands here, with advice from people with tremendous expertise. A quicker pace for increasing your minimum pressure is well worth trying. If for any reason it bothers you, you can back it down a little and then increase the minimum more gradually. Keep us posted!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 306 28 minutes ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 816 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,804 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.