Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just diagnosed with apnea, need help buying a CPAP machine
Just diagnosed with apnea, need help buying a CPAP machine
Hi folks. New user here, looking for some advice. Here's my situation:

I don't have insurance, and go to a sliding-scale clinic for my medical checkups.

My doctor referred me to the pulmonologist on staff for fatigue issues I was having, and after seeing him I went in to a sleep clinic to have a sleep study done.

I asked to see the results, but was refused. The results only were sent back to my pulmonoogist, who said I had high sleep apnea, which spiked whenever I went into REM sleep.

Unfortunately however, they said I needed to go back into the sleep clinic because they weren't able to get enough data to set the calibration.

So again I go in for the sleep study, and again I go and see the pulmonologist. He said he was going to order a machine, and that he would get me a special deal at $500.

3 weeks go by, and I haven't heard anything. I finally get a hold of him (difficult, because he's only at the sliding-scale clinic for a few hours each week). Well he flat-out forgot about me, and said he would order the machine ASAP.

Well now 3 weeks more have gone by, and I still haven't heard from him!

I need to take matters into my own hands here! Not only am I P*ssed at this lack of service, it feels like I'm being taken for a sucker, and the docs/clinic guys/machine providers all have some game worked out and they just try to keep people in the dark to extract as much money out of us as possible.

What should I do? I want to buy a cheap machine myself, used is fine. How would I set it up? If I get the info from the sleep clinic, would be that enough for me to go on?

Responses would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just diagnosed with apnea, need help buying a CPAP machine
Hi and welcome to the board
Demand copy of the sleep studies reports and prescription, legally they are yours to keep. You need prescription for machine and masks
Prescription have CPAP pressure recommendation which you can use to setup the machine also mask type and size, usually the one used at the sleep clinic. For machines choices and what to avoid, see the link to Archie machines choices
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

$500 for a machine does not sound much but you need data capable machine. Supplier #1 got "PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex" include heated humidifier $595
Supplier List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Mask is the the hardest part, you need to be able try different types so you can figure which type and size works best for you

On-line suppliers offer "return insurance" allow you to try out masks and return for a refund within 30 days

You can get almost any clinical manual and setup instructions from Apnea Board

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cpap_user_guy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What zonk said, check out the links he posted. You'll find great information here on the board.
I'm sorry you have had such difficulty getting going on your CPAP journey.
Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just get the ResMed S9 autoset.
That's what a lot of folks here have.
It does everything you need and gets the job done without costing a sizable fortune.
And best of all. It works!
Anything less will end up costing you more because you'll either stop using it, (that does not help your therapy)
or get an S9 anyway.

Been there, done that.
Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys, I'll insist on getting the script, and look into that S9!

I feel much better now, way less confused.

Many thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
keep in mind there is more than one model of S9.
The "Elite", "Escape" and "AutoSet"

You want to insist on the S9 AutoSet. Wink

Escape collects no data. (worthless for your application)
Elite collects data but is only good for a set pressure. (limited usefulness)
AutoSet collects data AND floats the pressure up and down as needed during the night.
It it therefore able to react to ad-hoc situations.. (if you start to get into trouble and are having more obstructive apneas it will
automatically increase the pressure as needed and back down when not required)
(Get the AutoSet one. It's only $50 more than the Elite)

Don't let them give you any wooden nickles!

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2013, 10:06 AM)Shastzi Wrote: keep in mind there is more than one model of S9.

There's also an S9 Escape Auto that you should avoid.

If someone says "S9 Auto", be sure you get "AutoSet," not Escape Auto.

The word AutoSet appears next to the power button.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Archangle.
That's a new one on me. Wink

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2013, 02:20 PM)archangle Wrote:
(06-17-2013, 10:06 AM)Shastzi Wrote: keep in mind there is more than one model of S9.

There's also an S9 Escape Auto that you should avoid.

If someone says "S9 Auto", be sure you get "AutoSet," not Escape Auto.

The word AutoSet appears next to the power button.
S9 series specifications guide and comparison chart
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 20 289 8 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 51 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.