Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just don'tunderstand ?
Just don'tunderstand ?
How you can go from a .04 AHI to a 3.2 AHI with out knowing your doing anything different?
Just don't get it, I feel the same just differnt numbers.
????
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just don'tunderstand ?
Sounds like my nights too!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2015, 08:31 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote: How you can go from a .04 AHI to a 3.2 AHI with out knowing your doing anything different?
????
Sleep-well

Are you sure that was not a 0.4 AHI night? In order to score a 0.04 AHI one would have to sleep for 25 hours and have 1 event.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Or one event in three nights!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2015, 08:31 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote: How you can go from a .04 AHI to a 3.2 AHI with out knowing your doing anything different?
????
Sleep-well

Hi Mr. Van Winkle,
I'm looking for an answer to that question also. I can be at .4 one night and the next night 1.8. The strange thing I notice is this: If my AHI is lower, I have high flow limitations and a ton of RERA's. If my AHI is at the higher end, I have less
Flow limitations and less RERA's. Thinking-about

I've been chasing the lower AHI reading for awhile now, tinkering with my settings, but I don't feel any better just because I have a lower AHI reading.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a hundred variables in any given afternoon/evening that can impact on how well I sleep on any given night. The CPAP is usually not one of them.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2015, 09:10 PM)OpalRose Wrote: The strange thing I notice is this: If my AHI is lower, I have high flow limitations and a ton of RERA's. If my AHI is at the higher end, I have less

I've been chasing the lower AHI reading for awhile now, tinkering with my settings, but I don't feel any better just because I have a lower AHI reading.

Not too strange. Flow Limit and RERA are just apneas that never had the chance to grow up. So on a night where your ahi was higher, more of the Flow Limit and RERA got to come out and play.

Basically just a little difference in sleeping position perhaps? Or that extra piece of cheesecake just before bedtime? Something that allowed the things that don't normally get large enough to be classified as apnea to have their few seconds of fame.

Keep an eye on the low pressure side of things. Often if you increase it just a smidgeon you will cause the Flow Limit/RERA things to calm down. That can have a pretty dramatic effect on your overall sleep efficiency.
Post Reply Post Reply
.4 is easily done.

3 episodes over 7.5 hours = .4
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2015, 10:44 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 09:10 PM)OpalRose Wrote: The strange thing I notice is this: If my AHI is lower, I have high flow limitations and a ton of RERA's. If my AHI is at the higher end, I have less

Not too strange. Flow Limit and RERA are just apneas that never had the chance to grow up. So on a night where your ahi was higher, more of the Flow Limit and RERA got to come out and play.

Basically just a little difference in sleeping position perhaps? Or that extra piece of cheesecake just before bedtime? Something that allowed the things that don't normally get large enough to be classified as apnea to have their few seconds of fame.

Keep an eye on the low pressure side of things. Often if you increase it just a smidgeon you will cause the Flow Limit/RERA things to calm down. That can have a pretty dramatic effect on your overall sleep efficiency.

R_G
No cheescake...I usually take my Thyroid Meds 2 hrs after dinner. This way I don't eat anything before bed.
Last night was fun... In the dark, put my mask on upside down, did a mask fit check and couldn't figure out why it wasn't fitting right. Unhooked hose, put light on, looked in mirror, and thought...what the ........
Also have acquired a cold. Blowing-nose and feeling awful.
So you would think I would have a higher AHI this morning. No....it was the lowest since I started CPAP. It was 0.13, but Flow Limitation was 1.16 and RERA's at .64

Mr Van Winkle,
I think there are so many reasons why AHI numbers fluctuate so much.
I was happy to see my low number last night, but the RERA's wake me up, so my sleep efficiency isn't that great.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
not sleeping also lowers it.... js
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.