Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just finished home study, but question about which CPAP test machine I tested?
Just finished home study, but question about which CPAP test machine I tested?
Hello all, I'm a new member here.

I did my initial home study and got an AHI of 28 OSA score, which I was told by the provider is actually under reporting as only an in-lab study can get the best results. Of course, my PPO, will not cover lab study unless the in-home fails. 

I read a lot of the Guides on here, including the DME guide (which machine to get, etc). 

From what I understand, I do not want an S10 AutoSense, but I want an S10 AutoStart.

Which machine did I get from the doctor's office? (I recently did a 5 night trial--now awaiting doctor's review of the SD card for information to see if a CPAP is worth it for me)

I tried to post a link, but it was blocked. Hopefully I can attach the pictures instead.

Also, I tried the pillows (most comfortable), the nasal mask (OK comfort, but some pressure on nose), and the full face mask (Dreamwear Full Face Mask). Surprisingly the FFM seemed to be the most comfortable, but the problem with that one was that anytime I would move the head/top strap (where the hose connects), up or down my head (i.e. closer or further away from forehead) it would drastically change the air pressure amount. If I moved it closer to my forehead, the air speed would trickle and the mask would go silent. If I moved it like in some Google images I searched (away from forehead, closer to top of head), the air pressure would be a lot faster, and it would make a lot more noise (at least to me). I wasn't sure how to wear it properly, so I put it away after 5 minutes and only used the pillows and nasal mask. 

Based on the readings of the CPAP machine, I got my AHI down below 1.0 on most nights, with one night at a 1.5. There were a couple nights with 0.0! 

However, I don't know how accurate the machine is. I felt that I could not turn and sleep on my left side without the house or oximeter getting in the way. I don't know how people do it. It's quite a hassle turning and sleeping on the side opposite where the CPAP is (currently, it was on the carpet, to the right, below the bed). I felt that it limited my ability to twist and turn.

I was thinking of getting a weighted blanket, but now I feel like with a CPAP hose, it would be so cumbersome to switch positions, a weighted blanket on top of the hose would make it even more difficult!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just finished home study, but question about which CPAP test machine I tested?
G'day vroomvroom. Welcome to Apnea Board.

The machine you have is the Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet. This is the second-best machine for obstructive apnea. The best is the Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her. The difference is that the For Her has an additional algorithm available which many people (including males) find more comfortable. However the regular AutoSet is an excellent machine and will give you the treatment you need.

As far as I know there is no Resmed AutoStart, but there was one called the AirStart. You do not want this machine - it does not provide full data capability. Resmed have withdrawn it in many countries. Don't get the AirStart, get the AutoSet.

Regarding the mask, there is no right answer here - every face is different and there are dozens of different masks on the market. You need to have a mask that is comfortable, fits properly and doesn't leak. If the pillows mask does it for you that's great. Your description of problems with the full face mask sounds like it's developing a major leak depending on where you place it against your forehead. You don't want any leaks.

I don't think placing the machine on the floor is a good idea - too easy to get dust etc sucked in. Put it on a bedside table, such that it is just below your head level. (I have mine in the top drawer of my table). That will give you a lot more hose length to play with and it won't be so cumbersome. You can also buy a hose lift, which is basically a bent metal frame which you drape the hose over, so that it comes down to you from above. Many members use these quite successfully.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just finished home study, but question about which CPAP test machine I tested?
Welcome

Congratulations on achieving the low AHIs right away.

That's a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, which is what you want.  Except that when you get your own from your DME, you want a new one, of course.  Smile  The Airstart 10 is actually a model to avoid, one of several, because it's much less capable than the Autoset.  You said that you've read some of the material here including "Dealing with a DME", but have you read the "Machine Choices" article?  The differences among models, and the reasons behind the choices, are explained there:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

And in case you encounter other CPAP machines, there's an identification guide, with photos:

https://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-...ur-machine

It's good that you were given a few masks to try.  It does take some experimentation, over some number of nights (possibly many), to find a mask that's comfortable and non-leaky.  That can be a subjective kind of thing, with big differences from one patient to another.  But there are some general guidelines, and a good starting point is the "Mask Primer" article:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

There are reviews of various makes & models in the "Mask Reviews" forum, along with many general discussions in this main forum.  Just search for the make & model names in the thread titles (which are also the web-page titles).

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-C...sk-Reviews

It does take a while to get used to dealing with the new setup during the night, but it's not a big deal.  Putting the machine lower than the bed is the thing to do (to prevent rainout: condensation in the mask), but having it on a carpet is not good because of all the accumulated dust and dust mites and other crud in the carpet, no matter how clean it seems.  The dust gets sucked into the machine's air inlet.  There is a filter there at the air inlet, which should be changed once or twice per month, but even so ...

Putting the machine on a low shelf next to the bed, or even in a bottom dresser drawer, works well.  As for the hose inconvenience, one common setup that people use is to have a "hose hanger" device above the bed so that, from the mask, the hose goes up to that at the headboard or wall, then down to the machine.  That keeps it from snaking all over the bed. But even if you don't use that, you'll soon get used to re-routing the hose as necessary during the night and won't think twice about it. The Resmed "Climateline" heated hose is good, but if it turns out not to be necessary for you (the heating is also to prevent rainout when you've got the humidifier heater at a high setting), you can swap it out for a more lightweight plastic hose, unheated. That's another variable to maybe experiment with eventually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to cover a few more points...

Resmed machines have a facility called SmartStart, which automatically turns the machine on and off when you put the mask on (and remove it). This might be causing confusion with the AirStart machine, which was a cheap and nasty "entry level" machine, which you don't want.

I strongly suggest you download and install a program called #SleepyHead, which will allow you to see how things are going in a graphical format. It's really great for optimising your settings, and will also show up any leaks. Have a look at this page for all the tutorials and background information: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
It occurred to me that maybe you meant that you had read the sticky (pinned) thread "Read this before you accept a new machine" in this forum, and if so, if you didn't already know about the "Dealing with a DME" article in the AB wiki, here it is ... very educational! Highly recommended for all newbies, along with that "Machine Choices" article.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...with_a_DME
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops! You guys are right! I did confuse the airstart and autostart vs airsense terminology. Looks like I had the machine I want (although it seems that the "for her" machine is preferable even if you're male)?

I appreciate the links, as well. I've gone through most of thrm, although will need to refresh myself if it turns out the doctor decides to write a prescription for the equipment. IllIproI'll p need to shoot him a message indicating thst I've done my research and want the "for her" version, lol. 

I will also need to diffig out what to do with keeping the cpap off the carpet. Based on my current setup, ktsi not exactly possible to have a bedside table adjacent to the bed. I might be able to throw up a metal folding chair next to the bed, but tjsy will be a hassle every night. Wish there was a way to mount safely to the wall. I will have to look up the hose stand as well. Any specific models that I should look for?

I'll definitely br getting sleepyhead. I like metrics!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 04:13 AM)vroomvroom Wrote: Hello all, I'm a new member here

I don't know how people do it. It's quite a hassle turning and sleeping on the side opposite where the CPAP is (currently, it was on the carpet, to the right, below the bed). I felt that it limited my ability to twist and turn.

I was thinking of getting a weighted blanket, but now I feel like with a CPAP hose, it would be so cumbersome to switch positions, a weighted blanket on top of the hose would make it even more difficult!

. . . Welcome  vroomvroom - you've definitely come to the right place - lots of friendly, helpful people here.  

I won't comment on the technical stuff as there are others who are much more knowledgeable about that, but I will say in reply to your comment "I don't know how people do it" - as the only alternative is to continue to suffer from sleep deprivation, we just do . . . and so will you.  It does take a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of it, learn which delivery system works best for you (I too tried them all at the start and have been using nose buds ever since) you will soon find the solutions that suit you.

I would recommend getting the machine up off the floor and onto a night table close to your bed which would mean less dust getting into it and allowing the hose more 'reach'. I use a feather bed with one of those blue magic mattresses under it and a feather duvet which is light and allows the hose to slither about beside you as you turn - rather like sharing your bed with a friendly snake!  You will already know that the hose and tube should not be under the covers but a duvet is not heavy enough to matter if the hose should get covered a bit by a duvet corner now and again.

Good luck with it all . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought here. I think the choice of the Airsense 10 Autoset vs. the Autoset for Her might be a bit tricker...I have the Autoset and use the Standard Ramp...I have a pretty large lung capacity, according to my Pulmonary doc...so I find the even the Standard ramp up can leave me a little air-starved, but I don't like starting on my min pressure either.

I agree with everyone on the mask testing...it took me 4-5 in "The Shop" and another three on my own to find two that I can really tolerate. I use full face mask because I have a lot of sinus congestion almost all the time...and no...the PAP WON'T by definition clear it out...it may help...but don't expect it to.

My two masks are the F10 Simplus and the Amara View (I like the Amara better, less obtrusive, but a bit tricker to fit at times.

Good luck...its not easy...I had to toss the machine away for a while before my wife told me to get back on it.
Brian

"I drank WHAT?" - Socrates
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 09:01 AM)vroomvroom Wrote: Oops! You guys are right! I did confuse the airstart and autostart vs airsense terminology. Looks like I had the machine I want (although it seems that the "for her" machine is preferable even if you're male)?

I appreciate the links, as well. I've gone through most of thrm, although will need to refresh myself if it turns out the doctor decides to write a prescription for the equipment. IllIproI'll p need to shoot him a message indicating thst I've done my research and want the "for her" version, lol. 

I will also need to diffig out what to do with keeping the cpap off the carpet. Based on my current setup, ktsi not exactly possible to have a bedside table adjacent to the bed. I might be able to throw up a metal folding chair next to the bed, but tjsy will be a hassle every night. Wish there was a way to mount safely to the wall. I will have to look up the hose stand as well. Any specific models that I should look for?

I'll definitely br getting sleepyhead. I like metrics!

The Airsense 10 Autoset is the correct machine for you, and for most users, the For Her version is nice but not particularly important.  It's better not to place your machine on the floor, but it really doesn't hurt any thing.  It will be more comfortable if you support the hose so it doesn't drag on your face. Something as simple as a lanyard, like the ones used for work I.D.s, can support the hose at or above the bed elevation so you can move freely. I use a lanyard with an attachment to the headboard, but the wall would work.  Keep it simple, and it will work out fine.  Lot's of people like the "hose buddy", but you may not have enough slack with the machine on the floor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 09:37 AM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: Just a thought here. I think the choice of the Airsense 10 Autoset vs. the Autoset for Her might be a bit tricker...I have the Autoset and use the Standard Ramp...

The ramp feature is different from the APAP algorithms and the machine's response to events. Ramp is (sorry if this comes as a surprise) just a trivial mickey-mouse feature that has nothing to do with the therapy itself; it's purely for comfort while the patient is getting used to using the machine, analogous to training wheels on a bicycle. Usually it's best to switch it off, but for anyone who can't put up with the therapeutic pressure yet (while awake), sorry and forget I said anything, for now. You'll see eventually. But if you didn't mean the Ramp feature, but rather what the machine's firmware does after starting out from the lowest pressure in whatever range has been set, then yeah, that's one thing the algorithmic differences are about.

The "for Her" model has a third algorithm in addition to the two that are standard in the regular A10 Autoset model. Maybe the three could be called Standard, Soft, and Softer? Everything else is the same, including the price, except for the color and the nice leaf pattern on the case. Here's a summary:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid274439
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 114 30 minutes ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 241 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 191 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 309 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.