Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just found out I have Severe OSA
RE: Just found out I have Severe OSA
Sleeprider, thank you.

Gideon, I've only been using OSCAR for a little over a week as I'm a new user. Checking now, it says 1.3.1 and that there are no updates, so I must have the latest version. It won't let me open my profile, just create a new profile.
Post Reply Post Reply
About the nose issue—try using a little Lansinoh on the sore parts. It’s a product used by nursing mothers for their nipples and works well on noses too. I would say that at bedtime you should use just a teeny bit, to make sure it doesn’t cause your nasal pillows to slide around. During the day you can use more.

As for moisturizers, I’ve used mine with no special problems. I’d say go ahead and use yours to see how it goes.

I hang my long hose up over a heating duct outlet so that it catches some rising warm air. And to be honest, I wash it quite infrequently. It’s the P10 you’d want to wash regularly, I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo, that's the lanolin brand I bought! I just couldn't remember the brand name. I read about it on some post. 

Okay, gotcha on the hose vs. P10 cleaning. I'm glad to hear that moisturizer is back on the table, haha! Thank you!

And I fixed OSCAR so we're back in business.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Hmmm...I need to figure out how to dry the hose because although I hung it up for hours after cleaning I still felt water dripping out of my nasal pillows at the beginning of the night and had to run to get a tissue."

This works for me: once a week or once a fortnight: wash the hose, rinse 4 or 5 times, shake all the water out, dry the outside and electrical connectors, re-attach to the machine with hose outlet below the machine (eg on a clean towel on the floor) and run Mask Fit for 1/2 hour or so. Generally on a Sat or Sunday morning. This will blow out and evaporate most of the moisture. If you like, you can then hang up it up for the rest of the day.

I occasionally swap out different pillow sizes (mask pillows, not bed pillows) Medium to Large and vice versa: this helps with any pressure build up on the nose.

BTW is looks like you are making great progress!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ohhhhh this is an amazing tip!! Thank you for taking the time to share! I will try that.

Other questions:

Machine placement - Someone said it's important to keep the machine on a level lower than my bed. Oops! I had mine on the top of my nightstand which is about 6" higher. It didn't seem to affect my results but after I heard this I moved it to the middle drawer. The bummer though is that even with the drawer open the machine is partially hidden so it's slightly inconvenient to turn off and on, read the panel, and take off/put on the humidifier case. Is it true it needs to be lower than the bed?

Ramp - It seems like at the beginning it's harder for me to breathe, and I'm wondering if it's a good idea or even possible to shorten the ramp time? It's not long so it's not unsurmountable, just a comfort thing.

Thank you all for your support!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Keeping the machine on a lower level prevents "rain-out" -- having moisture in the hose run into your mask. But if rain-out isn't an issue for you, there's no need to put your machine down in the drawer.

You can simply turn the ramp off. Many experienced PAP users wind up doing just that. Try it and see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it! Thanks, Dormeo!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2022, 02:45 AM)SevereApnea Wrote: This works for me: once a week or once a fortnight: wash the hose, rinse 4 or 5 times, shake all the water out, dry the outside and electrical connectors, re-attach to the machine with hose outlet below the machine (eg on a clean towel on the floor) and run Mask Fit for 1/2 hour or so. Generally on a Sat or Sunday morning. This will blow out and evaporate most of the moisture. If you like, you can then hang up it up for the rest of the day.

Hmmm....I tried this today and it didn't work for me. When I run Mask Fit without a mask it just turns off after a few seconds. What's the secret? Maybe it's because I have a different machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting... my early Autoset does seem to blow continuously with the red frowny face.. I wonder if the changed the software to detect a wide open hose. - I'm assuming you have a fairly new Autoset.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wanted to pipe in and say that my Resmed AirSense 10 Auto for Her can blow with a wide open hose for at least a couple of minutes in Mask Fit mode. I've done this multiple times to dry my hose. So unless they made that different for Resmed AirSense 10 Auto vs Resmed AirSense 10 Auto for Her... Maybe yoonseri's machine needs to get checked out?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 584 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 493 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 510 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,779 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 884 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 905 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,885 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.