Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just got diagnosed, a bit scared, how bad is it?
RE: Just got diagnosed, a bit scared, how bad is it?
(01-06-2021, 04:20 AM)StevesSp Wrote: The doctor has prescribed an auto machine but factory (5-20cm) settings. You should receive an Autoset, which is good, but the settings will definitely have to be tweaked. The most important thing is getting the pressures right, but there are many other parameters that can be adjusted and they can make a significant difference to your comfort and compliance.

I'm guessing your doctor/sleep 'expert' will help you set it up? They're not just going to drop a machine on your doorstep and leave you to it, are they?

I've got a respiratory therapist I'm working with.  She is going to set the settings remote and can adjust them as needed remotely.  I will be working with her to get the settings right for me.  We'll see how it goes Thursday!
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting the Autoset is encouraging. Be sure to download the free OSCAR program, and you will gain insights to your therapy not available through MyAir. Good luck with the new machine tomorrow.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent news about the machine. When it arrives, here are some things you can do to get started.

Please ask the technician to set your minimum higher than 5. Most adults find that they feel air-starved at 5. I'd recommend you request 7. Also ask for "expiratory pressure relief." This drops the pressure when you exhale, which is more comfortable for many people. The drop can be 1, 2, or 3 cm H2O. I'd suggest you ask for 3. (This setting may be under your control, so perhaps you won't need to ask.)

You'll need to fit your mask. There are good videos on line for just about every kind of mask, so see what you can find. Be sure to do the fitting while you are lying down in bed with the mask hooked up to the machine and the machine on. Try out the different positions in which you normally sleep to see what happens and tweak the fit accordingly.

You would probably benefit from using the mask and machine during the day or evening somewhere outside your bedroom. Set things up where you can read or watch TV -- something mildly pleasant and diverting. This is to get you used to the novel sensations without creating potentially negative mental associations with your sleep environment. I'd recommend doing this for multiple days, unless you find that you drop off to sleep easily with the mask and machine.

Yes, you do have severe apnea, with significant O2 drops. It is very good that this has been diagnosed and will soon be treated. Does your doctor have a plan for monitoring your night-time O2 levels?
Post Reply Post Reply
So I got the machine in the mail today. I registered it to the MyAir app - based off the Serial Number.

https://imgur.com/a/QEkyMiL

Seems to be a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet & the mask is a AirFit N30 mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think we were pretty much convinced that would be your setup after seeing the prescription was a range of pressure. Be sure to have the SD card in the slot on the left side of the machine. Don't be in a big rush to pull it in the morning. Let the machine finish its cool-down and you can enjoy some coffee. I'm sure all will go well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 351 4 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 56 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 386 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,805 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 408 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.