Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just got diagnosed, a bit scared, how bad is it?
Just got diagnosed, a bit scared, how bad is it?
Hey guys!

I'm 37 and I've been tired for a long while now.  I finally got around to getting myself help.  I had a sleep study done, got a prescription, and ordered the machine.  It should arrive Wednesday.  

In the meantime, I wanted to share my results and see what others insight is on it.  It scares me reading the doctors notes, and would appreciate a break down and is it really bad, is there a way back from this?

Here's my test/interpretation/prescription/equipment: https://imgur.com/a/LZuLr2Z 

Appreciate the help and insight.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just got diagnosed, a bit scared, how bad is it?
Well your sleep test results look alarming to your health with very low SpO2 and abundant snores and hypopenea. You certainly need therapy. Your profile shows you with Airsense 10 CPAP. You will clearly need the Autoset model for self-titration and to automatically adjust pressure. What are you getting?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for responding.
I was told the model is Resmed AirSense S10.

Will know more once it's delivered on Wednesday.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airsense 10 consists of three models; CPAP, Elite and Autoset. The CPAP does not provide data and is fixed pressure. It is the least useful machine and offers no feedback to you or your doctor that is useful for optimizing therapy or measuring its efficacy. Do not accept a machine with CPAP on the lower right side of the unit. The Elite is a fixed pressure machine that offers full efficacy data. This machine is acceptable, but will not adjust pressure automatically to help you optimize therapy or change as your sleep position, sleep stage and other factors change your pressure needs. The Autoset or Autoset For Her is what you want. In Canada you can get the Autoset For Her under your provincial health program. Here is a link to a thread where Canadian members are discussing this http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...et-for-her

"Resmed Airsense S10" is insufficient information. Call the supplier and get the model. Do not accept the CPAP model. Even better, specifically request the Autoset For Her.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are many S10 models and there are a couple that you do not want and many that are a lot better.  So I would call the supplier and ask for the specific model you will be getting.  Then post or research and find out if it is a model you want and need.  The one many people use is the Resmed S10 Airsense Autoset a very good machine. 

2nd thing is to download OSCAR from the top of the site.  It gives graphs and data of how you are sleeping and it is used to help with your settings.  No one here can give you suggestions that will help without that data.  You will need a SD card from 8 to 32 GB.  Many machines come with one but some of the suppliers won't.  It is the same SD card used in many cameras.

Please be proactive in which machine you will be getting - it is very important you get a machine you will be able to get therapy from.  Right now they have told you are getting a Ford - It could be a small sports car or a Lincoln or a tractor, all made by Ford.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my opinion, I'd be calling and asking what machine they are sending. Seems a little hard to accept that they don't know or can't tell you, if applicable. Just be certain that it's the right machine before you sign, as afterwards it will be more difficult to say it should be something else and attempt an exchange for an AutoSet For Her or AutoSet.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to point out .... each Province has their own rules for health care (to a certain extent).  And the sleep apnea machine coverage vary wildly from Province to Province.

Ontario, where I am from, has the best coverage in the country.   And the government has negotiated the prices for that coverage.   It has a tendency to bring down overall prices in the Province.   However Quebec,  which is next door does neither and I believe machines plus mask etc is running around $2k.  Basically double Ontario's price.

OP is from Alberta.   So government coverage is different there.

However, IIRC Alberta might offer some sleep apnea coverage to workers .  Whether it is through their workers compensation program or medical coverage,  I can't remember.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I've waiting on delivery of the machine and mask.

I should be getting it on Thursday, possibly Wednesday since the shipping was local so there's a chance it might come earlier.

I will let you know the model of the machine once I have it in hand.

I'm covered 80% for everything.  Machine, Masks, Accessories/Supplies via my work insurance with Sun Life.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given the doctor has specified "Given the severity of the findings, a CPAP autotitration of 5-20cm of water with a follow-up nocturnal oximetery/pneumotach is suggested", anything other than an autoset machine would be counter to the doctor's orders. If the machine is a "CPAP" or "Elite" model (see resmed pictures here - note minimal difference in appearance apart from the word in the box under "AirSense 10") point out this text in the report and ask them to try again.
Post Reply Post Reply
The doctor has prescribed an auto machine but factory (5-20cm) settings. You should receive an Autoset, which is good, but the settings will definitely have to be tweaked. The most important thing is getting the pressures right, but there are many other parameters that can be adjusted and they can make a significant difference to your comfort and compliance.

I'm guessing your doctor/sleep 'expert' will help you set it up? They're not just going to drop a machine on your doorstep and leave you to it, are they?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 20 287 7 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 50 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 380 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 289 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,804 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 408 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.