Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just got diagnosed, feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the information.
Just got diagnosed, feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the information.
I just got diagnosed and I think I am realizing that sleep clinics are a bit of a scam here in Alberta.  I took a at home test and was diagnosed with sleep apnea.  My sleep clinic only sells one model of CPAP and charge $2500 for it.  It seems like I can buy it online for like $650 instead which is ridiculous.  But I'm a bit overwhelmed with all my acronyms and understanding some of the verbage and I want to make sure I can do this on my own.

Sounds like in general, I should be looking at a APAP machine.  Do you pick out a machine based on your diagnosis, or based on features/cost?

I've attached my sleep test results if that helps.

I really appreciate any help  Smile Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just got diagnosed, feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the information.
It appears from your sleep study that you have obstructive apnea with hypopneas. If I read it correctly you had no central apnaes. The answer to your question is both. You select the type of machine that will effectively treat your your apnea and then look for the right features . You want a data  capable APAP machine that effectively treats obstructive events. The machine that provides the best results is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Airsense 10 Autoset . THe Phillips dreamstation is a good machine but we see better results with the Resmed.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
G'day SuperLuigi, welcome to the forum.

I agree with Melman - your best bet is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Airsense 10 Autoset for Her. The "for Her" refers to some additional settings designed for women's particular respiration but some men have also found them useful. All the normal AutoSet modes are still available in the "for Her".

The hardest part of all this is getting a mask to suit. It needs to be comfortable, fit properly and not leak. If you're prone to claustrophobia you will want to look at the less invasive pillows types. Read all about it here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a lot of flow limits and RERAs.

This means a PR CPAP or APAP is not recommended.

You need ResMeds EPR or the pressure support of a BiLevel machine to properly treat the RERAs. The question is will the limit of 3 cmw the ResMed AutoSet be enough or will you need the greater capability of. BiLevel such as ResMeds VAuto?
Without question the AutoSet will make a big difference . A BiLevel is very difficult to get as an initial machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
But I'm a bit overwhelmed with all my acronyms and understanding some of the verbage and I want to make sure I can do this on my own.

This forum and it's members can help you with ANY question and/or concern that you might ever have in regards to CPAP Therapy. 

Don't ever be afraid or shy to ask. I know I wasn't.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with all the acronyms. A glossary sure would be handy for us new folks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2020, 02:48 PM)Billygoat Wrote: I agree with all the acronyms. A glossary sure would be handy for us new folks.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Definitions
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ref: Glossary. Very helpful!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! Others have given great advice about selecting a machine. One additional suggestion: get a copy of your prescription for a machine. Suppliers who sell machines on line (and even some other stuff, like masks) often require you to send in a scan of a prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 20 293 9 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 304 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.