Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Made it through the titration sleep study.
RE: Made it through the titration sleep study.
(06-05-2012, 03:40 PM)johns019 Wrote: Thanks - I'm really hoping it will make a difference - so is my wife Grin

Well if it's any consolation my wife says I kick her (repeatedly) less when I am "on the hose" than when I am not! It's an RLS thing, or PLM or whatever. Sometimes when I was not on the hose, I would wake myself up kicking her. Why she never beat me half to death is pretty much beyond me. Gotta be love!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2012, 06:47 PM)mjbearit Wrote:
(06-05-2012, 03:40 PM)johns019 Wrote: Thanks - I'm really hoping it will make a difference - so is my wife Grin

Well if it's any consolation my wife says I kick her (repeatedly) less when I am "on the hose" than when I am not! It's an RLS thing, or PLM or whatever. Sometimes when I was not on the hose, I would wake myself up kicking her. Why she never beat me half to death is pretty much beyond me. Gotta be love!

I've kicked my wife a few times in my sleep too, but if I put my arm up with my hand on my pillow and my wife knows it - she wakes me up right away. I've hit her on top of her head a few times - she calls it the hammerRolleyes
I'm lucky she hasn't started hitting me yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2012, 05:04 AM)johns019 Wrote: ...wish I didn't have to wait 2 more weeks for the appointment.

I always wondered why it takes so long for the follow up appointments when sleep apnea is something that decreases the quality of life and can lead to the loss of life. I guess if you suffer with it for years a couple of weeks more doesn't matter. It took me almost 5 months from my first doctor's visit complaining about unnatural, extreme fatigue until I got my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2012, 03:57 PM)CHanlon Wrote: I hated the idea too - and I'm a scuba diver, and used to having weird stuff on my face. Gotta tell you, after waking up that first morning after 9.5 hours of real sleep, and *none* of the symptoms I was used to - being tired all day, no energy, nodding off between sentences... etc - I got used to it really fast.

Now, apparently I was one of the people lucky enough to see instant results, so don't get discouraged if you don't. Seems I'm more the weird case then the norm... but you *will* see improvement, even if it takes a little while.

I wasn't aware of how tired I was until about night 7 or so. Then I realized I actually had gumption for the first time in I guess years. It's amazing I lived that long.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2012, 08:14 PM)iSnooze Wrote:
(06-05-2012, 05:04 AM)johns019 Wrote: ...wish I didn't have to wait 2 more weeks for the appointment.

I always wondered why it takes so long for the follow up appointments when sleep apnea is something that decreases the quality of life and can lead to the loss of life. I guess if you suffer with it for years a couple of weeks more doesn't matter. It took me almost 5 months from my first doctor's visit complaining about unnatural, extreme fatigue until I got my machine.

In some cities, the wait time is in months or even up to a year, not weeks. The waiting list for the sleep clinics, just to get tested, are very long. Can you imagine waiting that long for a blood test? Or an xray? I know it takes time, one person per bed per night.

The big sleep clinic here has folks over all the time. They don't close. I visited it during the day and the doc said the rooms were full. I got to come in late at night since I am a night owl. It let them fit another person in right before me.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
There's a local company here in the Houston area, apparently affiliated with my DME, that advertises a home sleep study. They claim to have doctors who evaluate the results and prescribe the machine. Then this company sets you up with the machine. It's marketed to truck drivers.

I'm going to check with my DME rep and see if I can get some more information about it.

Services like this are going to cut down on these long waits, and make it more likely that people with OSA will seek and receive the treatment they need.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2012, 08:18 AM)Sleepster Wrote: There's a local company here in the Houston area, apparently affiliated with my DME, that advertises a home sleep study. They claim to have doctors who evaluate the results and prescribe the machine. Then this company sets you up with the machine. It's marketed to truck drivers.

I'm going to check with my DME rep and see if I can get some more information about it.

Services like this are going to cut down on these long waits, and make it more likely that people with OSA will seek and receive the treatment they need.

When I had my sleep study at the end of March my sleep doc offered me a home study as an alternative to the sleep lab. She said the home study did not offer as much information as they could gather in the sleep lab, so I went with the sleep lab.

If you google on "home sleep study" you'll find that it's been out there for some time. I even ran across an article written for sleep docs expressing exactly the sentiment you did: That by making sleep studies more convenient it will increase the number of people diagnosed.
Post Reply Post Reply
All my HMO has ever offered as far as I know is a home study. It's hard enough to sleep with a bunch of wires, belts, hoses and oximeter (sounds like a car repair commercial!), but to do it in an unfamiliar bed...I don't see how anyone gets any sleep at all! Even in my own bed if I got 3 hours sleep that night, I'd be surprised! I think it is just something you struggle through and fine tune down the road. Unfortunately I was given a machine with no follow up, no anything. I had a number to call for supplies, but that was it. No-one wanted to know how I was getting on with the machine, etc. It was only recently that it has ever even come up! To me it is no surprise why patients become non-compliant. I am positive my HMO is not the only medical group to never follow up with the patient. There are probably a lot of people like me out there with a CPAP in the closet. I'm just glad I made the decision to drag it back out of the closet.....and I've still received no support from them other than to pay for a new mask!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 235 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.