Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: Just got my Machine
(06-07-2012 06:50 AM)mikael26288 Wrote:  In my info screen under "large leak" it has 17% but I don't have a leaking mask.
What does that mean.
Its the percentage of time the machine detect a large leak which no longer can determine accuracy of the data during this time.
Unlike the S9 shows mask leak on the screen and draw the line for acceptable leak at or below 24 l/min but as PRS1 don,t shows mask leak (unintentional leak) you need to look at SleepyHead software which you can download from here.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 04:40 PM by zonk.)
06-07-2012 04:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
mikael26288 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: PR System One Heated
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

After I took my nap without any mustache at all, that number went down to 5%.
I will look into the sleepy head program.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 04:34 PM by mikael26288.)
06-07-2012 04:34 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(06-06-2012 09:56 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  And it is okay if you can only do an hour or so each night. Try to slowly increase that until you can sleep the entire night through.

You need more than 4 hours CPAP usage for most nights or insurance may refuse to pay for the machine. You usually need to be "compliant" for more than 4 hours for 70% of the nights in a 30 day period.

Don't take the mask off during the night if at all possible. You may become hooked on taking it off and find you never adjust. You may even start taking it off during the night and not remember doing so.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
06-08-2012 03:34 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
mikael26288 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: PR System One Heated
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

The first night was the only night I took my mask off. All the nights after that, I have done a lot better. I am getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night now, with my mask on.

My wife was really tired from work yesterday so she wanted to go to bed early, so I went to bed at the same time. It was some time before dark. We both probably got 10 hours of sleep with our masks on last night. LOL
06-08-2012 09:12 AM
CHanlon Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Activa LT
Humidifier: ResMed Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 12 -20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Mirage Activa LT nasal mask

(06-07-2012 04:14 PM)mikael26288 Wrote:  Think I figured out why I had those numbers in the info screens.

Since I lost my central vision back in 2003 I have let my beard and mustache grow out because it is hard to shave with only low vision.

I did shave off my mustache for my second sleep study with the nasal mask and have since been letting it grow back out.

I found out from the health care guy that called to check on me, that I can't have any facial hair where my mask sits. Because the mask will leak a little even if I can't notice it.

I shaved the mustache back off and took a hour nap, my "large leak" and "AHI" numbers went way down after the short nap. I expect they will go down even more as I use my mask without the mustache.

I will truly miss the mustache. I went from looking like a Mountain Man/ Biker Dude to an looking like an Amish Man. Dielaughing

It will take some time to get use to the new look. Cool

I have a full beard and moustache... and aside from CPAP I also scuba dive. For diving, I usually shave a thin strip just under my nose, and soak the rest of the 'stache in vaseline. I expected to have to do something similar with the CPAP mask - and in fact I did shave the same thin line for a couple months when I started. I've found it to be unnecessary, though - my RT was right when he took one look at me and said "Try this mask, first..." and handed me a ResMed Mirage Activa LT. I'm on the same mask I started with nearly 2 years ago - I've never had to replace it, yet, but it's getting there now - and my leak rate, if I have one, is usually entirely caused by me taking the mask off without turning the machine off first. Otherwise its usually less then 1.

Give the Activa a try, might work out for you.
06-08-2012 10:16 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,151 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 3,797 04-06-2014 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2