Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just got new BiPAP machine, need help with treatment/optimization
RE: Just got new BiPAP machine, need help with treatment/optimization
Thanks for the response. What about large amount of leaks throughout the night? The cervical collar was on and the medical tape didn't fall off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Turn "SmartStart" off. ResMed are idiots -- SmartStart is clever, but for some reason some total moron thought that it was necessary to force you to allow the machine the power to turn itself off when you give it the power to turn itself on. (This is apparently fixed in the 11.)

What happened at 4:30 is that the machine decided you were dead and so you didn't need it anymore and so it turned itself off. It very briefly detected life and turned itself back on, but then decided you were dead again for awhile...

In other words, just when you need the machine the most -- because you've stopped breathing -- the machine decides that it can turn itself off.

ResMed is like an idiot savant. Brilliant engineering, powerful, subtle science, combined with such amazingly stupid little details that you wonder if the brilliant engineers were off drinking and left some idiot in charge for awhile...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm then smart start isn't as smart as it's named at times.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, here is OSCAR data from last nice. The high trigger sensitivity seemed to reduce most of the central apneas. However, I still seem to be having a relatively large amount of leaks when compared to the full face mask. I use mouth tape and a soft cervical collar. The tape stayed on the whole night. I was wondering where the leaks could be coming from. With the nasal pillows it couldn't slip and then fall back into place right? Also, last night I turned up the PS to 6. Should I turn it back down to 5 to try and remove the current centrals? Throughout the night I seem to minimal leaks most of the time. The ones that are very low are of little consequence most of the time but I'm just curious as to what might be causing them. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
IMO it looks like a mouth leak pattern. Could be the tape isn't staying sealed or some tape is more porous than others.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The trigger sensitivity had the expected benefit of fixing the CA, so this therapy looks great. Your leaks are not that bad, more of a nuisance. How are you feeling? Are you waking from dry mouth or disruption from the leaks? It looks like all you need is a gentle nudge to keep your jaw closed. I often tuck a piece of my down pillow up between may shoulder and jaw along the side of my neck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I woke up around 5 hours in and the leak rate spiked up to 90 beforehand. I already use a soft cervical collar for chin tucking. Should I get a slightly larger one? The one I’m currently using seems to have a little space where my chin could possibly drop. Also I use some kind of 3m nexcare medical tape (brown one). If this is porous, is there any tape you would recommend that works for this more often?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't tape, and have some leaks. I think your answer will be something that just comfortably encourages the jaw to stay closed. I have not seen the kind of events that suggest chin-tucking. Just think of how your collar supports the back of the jaw, and that is how I use my pillow.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello. I have OSCAR data from last night and OSCAR statistics from 2 nights ago (forgot to put sd card in). Two nights ago I managed to secure the tape on my face by multi-layering it and wrapping my jaw with grip tape, and had an AHI of 0.2 with Min EPAP=8 and PS=6. I slept well but woke up too early due to either an arousal or bloating caused by aerophagia, likely because I was somehow lying on my back while normally being a side sleeper (MedCline). The next night I decided to set min EPAP to 7 and PS to 7 to try and avoid the aerophagia and see if centrals would somehow increase. The night went well with 0 events until I had an obstructive apnea followed by a very high leak and a central apnea (attachment below event), and the AHI for the rest of the night was significantly worse than last night. I was wondering what might have caused this massive leak and how it could have led to a higher AHI for the rest of the night despite seemingly being resolved (the leak). Also, are there any modifications I should make to the settings to further optimize therapy? Thanks for your help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, I finally managed to find a tape that stays on the whole night. Despite this my breathing seems to be erratic at times and the AHI seems to have gone up a bit since last time. Perhaps it's the PS=7. Here is the oscar data from last night. Are there any further optimizations to be made? Also, there is an attachment of what is an example of the "erratic breathing" and also and what my normal breathing looks like. The normal breathing seems to be done in 2 parts. Is this normal? Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 18 631 28 minutes ago
Last Post: Expat31
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 22 491 Yesterday, 10:19 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Head position optimization apneavolt 11 387 04-16-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,849 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 169 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 147 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 243 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.