Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just had another sleep study
Just had another sleep study
Hello folks

I had been tested by the local VA in 2007 and they have managed me ever since. About a year ago, I started feeling real tired all the time and would wake up that way even while wearing my mask

The VA did some blood work and made a small adjustment to the machine but no luck

Just before Christmas, I started trying to fall asleep when driving which I have never had happen.

I went to my family doctor, he sent me to a neurologist psychotherapy doctor which did some test and cleared me of any neurological issues. He then referred me to a sleep clinic at the local hospital.

They had me do a sleep test (after test fitting about 10 masks). The next morning they did another test for narcolepsy...every two hours they wanted me to try to go to sleep for 15 min. I did that 5 times and fell asleep 3 of them. The tester told me during one of the sessions that my sleep was really fragmented and did not get to RIM during those naps. (I did during the night test)

During my follow up visit, the doctor showed me that it took a pressure of 20 to stop all my events and felt doing that would help.

Well, I was at 4-16 and he wanted to put me on a constant 20. At 20, this thing blows so hard my ears whistle Smile

The bottom line is that it is difficult to keep the mask sealed, the unit exhausts enough air to fly a kite so I cannot turn toward my wife, the machine sounds like a jet trying to take off and due to the large amount of air flow, I have to really crank up the humidity to keep from having a dry nose and throat.

I woke up this morning with a wet mustache...not a rain out, just collected the moisture.

I had to add the ramp back that the doctor took away and lowered the pressure some. I am now creeping back up to 20.. I believe I am at 18 right now but still use the ramp. The machine is now set for 14-18 and working back to 16-20

Anyone have any experience with some of these issues, I do wake feeling a little better and I can drive again but still get very tired in the afternoon and try to take a power nap around 6

Wearing a full face Quattro mask...brand new...can anyone help?

Thanks
Homeless Dan

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just had another sleep study
I am at a pressure of 20 like you. I battled leaks until I got my Mirage Quattro ffm. Get a lot of vent but it does not leak. I was titrated for VPAP, 20 IPAP and 16 EPAP. I tried auto for a while and my AHI was getting a lot worse so I went back to S mode as above and have been sailing along ever since. I do still have dry mouth but am working on it. I would suggest a chinstrap to keep your mouth closed and help the dry mouth.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just had another sleep study
At 20 you're going to have some fun trying to keep a ffm quiet. But your best bet is probably a Quattro Air, and a mask liner such as "Pad-a-cheek." At 20, you would probably be better served with a nasal mask, except you have a mustache? That might preclude that. That puts you into possibly a P10 pillows? That might actually work for you. I think, if it were me, I'd try the pillows and work up from 16 slowly to see what happens. You also need to be monitoring your reports using the Sleepyhead software for leaks and ahi.

Oh, and someone will wander by and move this thread for you.........
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Sleep Study completed.....second one
G/day Homeless Dan, trying not to sleep on your back will likely reduce your apneas.
Have you tried a nasal pillows mask?
My own experience was that with a full face mask my AHI hovered around 10, I got off dairy food and that cleared my nose well enough to use a nasal pillows mask, with a chin strap, and my average AHI is now 1.0, not only did I reduce my AHI but also my pressure, with the full face mask 17.2 and now with the nasal pillows mask 13.4.

What does sleepy head tell you about your leak rates?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Sleep Study completed.....second one
(04-09-2014, 01:33 AM)comatose Wrote: G/day Homeless Dan, trying not to sleep on your back will likely reduce your apneas.
Have you tried a nasal pillows mask?
My own experience was that with a full face mask my AHI hovered around 10, I got off dairy food and that cleared my nose well enough to use a nasal pillows mask, with a chin strap, and my average AHI is now 1.0, not only did I reduce my AHI but also my pressure, with the full face mask 17.2 and now with the nasal pillows mask 13.4.

What does sleepy head tell you about your leak rates?

Thanks for the reply, I have not looked at sleepyhead just yet, I wanted to get a few days recorded but will look when I get back home from my travels

I have tried the nasal pillows, I like them but i do not get enough air thru them.

I am a side sleeper and0 that seems to be when the leak is most prevalent

I will look at the data and reply on Friday when I return home

Thanks for the reply

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.