Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just had sleep study review and confused about next steps
Just had sleep study review and confused about next steps
I was prescribed an in-lab study through a virtual provider earlier this month. The study was done on 10/14 and the report shows I have moderate sleep apnea with an AHI of 28.6 

I just had a follow up appointment with the same company and it was with a completely different doctor. He looked over the report and said he's prescribing me a CPAP. He told me I could take the prescription to essentially any vendor and get whatever machine I want depending on my insurance. He said a titration study is up to me, but not necessary since the machines have an auto feature. 

I emailed the office to get my prescription and they told me they would be sending it to the lab where I had my study done and they'd advise me on how to move forward with the CPAP. I replied asking for the prescription again and that the doctor said it is my decision on next steps. 

They sent it over and said they'd discharge me and let the lab know I'd be handling next steps. The prescription they sent doesn't look like a prescription for a machine. There's a column labeled "Test Name" with "Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Ventilation (CPAP), Initiation and Management" under it. And it says "G47.33, moderate obstructive sleep apnea" next to it. 

Is this a prescription for a machine or titration study? Can I just buy a machine with this? I can post a screenshot of it if needed. 

It was a terrible experience with this virtual office and I don't plan on ever going back. I am just confused as to what I should do next.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just had sleep study review and confused about next steps
Typical you would get a minimal prescription for a wide open autoSet

ResMed AutoSet
Mode : Auto
Min Pressure = 4
Max pressure = 20

I would suggest min pressure = 7 (allows full use of EPR)
Max Pressure = 20 (machines Max, if properly adjusted it will not approach that pressure
EPR =2, Fulltime To bets treat Hypopneas, and flow limitations.

Whatever your initial settings are expect the need to change them after 1 night.
Just show us your OSCAR daily charts and we will help you out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the info! So I can buy a machine with what they gave me? 
Would it help if I post all the data I got from my sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
You certainly want to keep the records of your sleep study for your permanent medical record. You may need it for years to come. My last study was in 2008 and I still need the paperwork for equipment and supplies. If you obtain a Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset, and set it to the pressure settings suggested by Gideon, you will resolve your sleep apnea. We can use the data from the machine that can be viewed and posted in the free OSCAR program to optimize those settings. EPR is exhale pressure relief, and the Resmed implementation is superior and equivalent to bilevel. The difference in pressure between inhale and exhale is identical to bilevel pressure support and can not only provide greater comfort, but also directly treat some airway resistance that we can identify with the OSCAR software. You can buy this machine with confidence, and unless there were a number of central apnea events that are noted as part of your sleep study, we probably don't need to see it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry buy what machine? The script doesn’t mention any make/model.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here’s a pic of the prescription.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Turbopenguin, I provided the exact machine you need twice: Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset or Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. These are auto-CPAP machines that are the best-in-class with full therapeutic data and the ability to adjust pressure automatically to ensure you get the treatment you need. Get the machine and check back. We'll get you started. You can request the clinical manual from the forum and learn more about how these machines work and how to adjust therapy settings. https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.