Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just how tight do you have to make a full face mask??
RE: Just how tight do you have to make a full face mask??
Reiterating what has been said above, it may be that you need a different make / model of mask. Everybody's face is different, and that's why there are so many mask types out there. Try to find a DME / supplier who will allow you to try before you buy, or return within x days if it doesn't work out.

The general wisdom is that a lighter headgear tension will allow the mask to float on your skin like a hovercraft - I have found this never works for me. Likewise, tightening the straps will actually make leaks worse. The best position (for me) is to have the straps firm but not tight. It is essential that each of the four straps is adjusted to get a satisfactory balance between left/right and top/bottom.

I use the Simplus, which tends to leak badly up the side of my nose. To overcome this I use a partial liner made of flannelette which covers the bridge of the nose.

Finally, you should adjust the headgear when lying down, not sitting up. Your machine has a mask-test facility which will deliver air at a high pressure, to enable you to fiddle with the straps until it is both comfortable and fairly leak-proof.
Post Reply Post Reply
How tight? It is really more a matter of fit than tightness. Mask fitting is the most individual portion of apnea therapy.

What do I do?
All my mask fittings are with a CPAP and under pressure. Initially standing and if the fit is close lying down in sleeping position. Also without straps!!! I hold the Mask on my face with my hands and move it around to find that right position holding it on at various distances from my face. The variances in distances are minor but critical. You are just looking for that magic spot. Once that is found I add straps with the purpose of holding that magic spot.

Ok a bit of physics as it relates to our masks.

More or less our masks are at a constant pressure. Yes it varies if you have an Auto CPAP but to keep it simple we will ignore that. We will use a pressure of 10cmw for ease of use. Let's say a nasal mask covers 10 sq cm. That makes the total force 10 *10or 100 grams of force. For a full face mask say 100 square cm the force is 10 * 100 or 1000 grams of force. This means the force trying to blow a large mask off your face is much larger than that of a nasal mask or the much smaller pillow mask. This is what makes fit so critical for large masks and generates that blower being talked about.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, we have to assume you've got the "right" mask, the one that mates to your facial features and contours well, as in the best possible. But the possibility is that you don't have the right mask is out there. Right mask? OK, moving on.

Right size is either yes or no. No means get the right size, a yes then moving on. Unfortunate you're not likely to know if the size is right unless you've got at least 2 for comparison sake. IMO one will prove better than the other.

Another variable is if your choice is an F20. (maybe other masks are like this too) You need to choose cushion material, AirFit is silicone, while AirTouch is memory foam. I believe they are shaped a bit different too. AirFit being a bit more blunt at the top, where the AirTouch is more pointed and elongated in the nasal bridge. That's what I observe when I see them side by side in the same size I own.

My F20 example on myself is silicone works great but memory foam doesn't seal as well.

For both styles of cushion material, I've tried more or less every bit of those Velcro strap adjustment ranges to get it to work, and I did eventually get there. I've tried tight to too tight to very loose to somewhat loose. Even combo loose and tight, meaning top vs bottom straps and vise versa.

Another variable is exactly where on your face do you park it. High or low on the bridge of your nose makes a difference, at least on my F20.

For some, there's no leeway. It has to be just so or you'll have a leak no matter what.

If after what YOU consider reasonable time and effort, if you find you cannot get the leaks to stop, it's probably time to start over with another mask.

YMMV! But that's how I got my mask to not leak.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a full face mask. I readjust the straps just about every night. If they feel loose I readjust accordingly. Mine has been staying on quite well. I will say it took some getting used to. Just don't sneeze with it on. I also clean mine daily, that gets rid of any facial oils & other nastiness in the mask & silicone. I hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 266 Yesterday, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 170 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 140 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,096 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 333 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 668 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 268 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.