Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just learned I have Complex Apnea
RE: Just learned I have Complex Apnea
(04-18-2014, 09:29 AM)Ray S Wrote: I quit smoking a few months ago, cut way back on my alcohol consumption and trying to eat healthier. Right now I am about 20 pounds overweight and in the process of trying to shed it.

Is it really possible to "treat apnea from within"? I mean be cured? I thought my machine was going to be my sleep buddy for life? Unsure

Good job on that no-smoking thing Ray. That's the best thing you could have ever done for your body.

It's possible that changing lifestyles in significant ways such as you are doing could result in a reduction of AHI to the point where it would not be necessary to treat it. But I think we're better off just loving where we're at and not worrying too much about that for now.

In my case I know I snored a lot before I gained the 20 pounds I now want to lose. So I'm not confident that losing the weight will stop the apnea. But that's fine! My machine and I are one! (Yes Gabby, my machine and my mask and I are two!)

Anyhow Ray, great work doing what you're doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 06:36 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(04-18-2014, 09:29 AM)Ray S Wrote: I quit smoking a few months ago, cut way back on my alcohol consumption and trying to eat healthier. Right now I am about 20 pounds overweight and in the process of trying to shed it.

Is it really possible to "treat apnea from within"? I mean be cured? I thought my machine was going to be my sleep buddy for life? Unsure

Good job on that no-smoking thing Ray. That's the best thing you could have ever done for your body.

It's possible that changing lifestyles in significant ways such as you are doing could result in a reduction of AHI to the point where it would not be necessary to treat it. But I think we're better off just loving where we're at and not worrying too much about that for now.

In my case I know I snored a lot before I gained the 20 pounds I now want to lose. So I'm not confident that losing the weight will stop the apnea. But that's fine! My machine and I are one! (Yes Gabby, my machine and my mask and I are two!)

Anyhow Ray, great work doing what you're doing.

Retired_guy, nice one! Glad to hear the three of you are still doing well...Keep up the good work.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 09:22 AM)Ray S Wrote: Perhaps I should invest (pay) for a night at the sleep lab out my own pocket to get more information?

Hi Ray S,

I suggest you should ask that copies to be mailed to you of the full reports (including sleep data graphs) for all your past sleep studies, as these will contain a wealth of information that is important to have.

But rather than having another sleep study, for the present, I suggest downloading SleepyHead and gradually becoming ever more familiar with the sleep data recorded by your machine.

However, I would suggest you invest in a recording pulse oximeter, such as are available from Supplier 19. The kind that are worn like a watch, with separate finger sensor, are more comfortable to wear for a full night or multiple nights.

(Link to Supplier List is given at top of every forum page. Apnea board does not get a commission or anything and believes these are honest suppliers; the Supplier List is for convenience to members, and if complaints occur the supplier would likely get dropped from the list.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,926 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 326 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with Complex Apnea Joey67 6 577 03-23-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  PLEASE HELP! Central/Complex apnea hopeforusall 10 856 03-15-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.